Oil Furnace - Posted by Brian (OH)

Posted by Brian (OH) on April 10, 2006 at 10:03:07:

Thanks.

Oil Furnace - Posted by Brian (OH)

Posted by Brian (OH) on April 09, 2006 at 24:00:32:

I’m looking at a L/H package with a 1984 DW and according to the listing it has an oil furnace. I’ve heard of houses in my area with oil furnaces, but normally they’re 100 year old stick-built houses. Has anyone heard of a mid 80’s mobile home with an oil furnace?

I don’t know anything about oil furnaces. Is there anything special I need to know or consider?

Re: Oil Furnace - Solution - Posted by rise2it (VA)

Posted by rise2it (VA) on April 15, 2006 at 01:04:05:

Brian, I also went braindead in my previous post.

For your situation - 80’s doublewide, you should have a 200 amp box.

You should be able to replace it easily with an ELECTRIC furnace. May have to have an electrician come wire it and add a breaker - think most of these are about 60-90 amp units.

Coleman and some other companies make electric mobile home furnaces. Should be able to get them from a mobile home parts supplier for around $350-$400 new.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Re: Oil Furnace - Posted by rise2it(VA)

Posted by rise2it(VA) on April 10, 2006 at 03:13:43:

I’ve got 4 of them with oil furnaces. Local company charges about seventy bucks to come out and check it, which means they vacuum it out and replace a nozzle which costs about five dollars.

If you get a dead one, or have one die, a better option than replacing it with the same is to replace with a laser/monitor type oil heater. These run about $1200 new, but you can pick them up used for less than half, especially in the summer months (or as people get ‘scared’ of rising oil prices).

Re: Oil Furnace - Posted by Fred Hegel

Posted by Fred Hegel on April 09, 2006 at 09:52:01:

An oil furnace requires annual maintenance.

1. there is a filter in the oil line which should be changed periodically
  2. there is a spray nozzle in the fire box that converts the pressurized oil to a mist for combustion. These sometimes clog and need to be replaced
  3. the fire box accumulates a red gray sand residue from the burnt oil. this needs to be periodically removed with a vacuum cleaner hose

Try to contact the manufacturer of the furnace for specific info

Good luck

I really shouldnt do th is, but . . . - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on April 15, 2006 at 10:55:52:

you can get 12kw furnaces on ebay for 329 plus shipping

but dont run my supplier dry!

Re: Oil Furnace - Posted by Brian (OH)

Posted by Brian (OH) on April 10, 2006 at 10:40:29:

Thanks.