OK, Let me ask this - Posted by Carl

Posted by Mark on July 06, 2007 at 05:23:04:

Sorry, I have already accepted a qualified tenant for this vacancy. I will keep your application in my active file for 30. 60, or 90 days and contact you if I have another vacancy that you would qualify for.

OK, Let me ask this - Posted by Carl

Posted by Carl on July 06, 2007 at 04:44:56:

I had 2 people both show interest on the same day for the same house. Neither of them filled out rental applications on that day. Both of them eventually filled out applications.

I recieved person #1’s application on Monday and approved it and gave them the house.

I recieved person #2’s application yesterday (Thursday). I will not do any kind of screening because the house was already rented.

Based upon verbal conversation, tenant #1 was going to make a better tenant anyway (Tenant #2 had informed me of a prior eviction), but the basis for my decision was pretty much whoever got me the application first.

My question is this (I am in PA)
How do I handle the rejection of person#2. There was really nothing wrong with the person’s application; They just weren’t quick enough submitting the application.

What are my legal obligations to this person? Do I need to send them a letter to tell them someone beat them to it? Is just a phone call OK? Or do I need to do nothing?

Thanks for the info

Carl

Re: OK, Let me ask this - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on July 06, 2007 at 19:09:50:

The first rule in a case where there is a potential for a lawsuit is to say as little as possible and don’t put stuff in writing. So just say, I’m sorry, its already rented. Just that, nothing else. And most of all don’t give in to the desire to explain yourself.

Re: OK, Let me ask this - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on July 06, 2007 at 15:28:19:

Tenant number 2 in my book was not qualified because he has already been evicted.He will be evicted again it seems to be a habit and you do not want the problem

Re: OK, Let me ask this - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on July 06, 2007 at 05:44:46:

Carl:

You’re making too big a deal of it.

This one is easy. The second guy is too late!! If you speak to him, compliment him, “your applicantion looks good”, but you can mention to him that he took too long to give you the application.

You never know with these things, and sometimes, the guy that wants the place, and you accepted, changes his mind before lease signing. When that happens I tell the “number two choice” that it’s his if he wants it.

I’m in a fairly hot area, and a few years ago, I have 50 to 100 people coming by on a weekend open house, get 25 applicants, where I have to pick one. I sometimes even tell them “you’re one of 24 nice people I have to turn down, but good luck in finding a place”.

When taking the application, I tell them, I’ll decide by Tuesday night, and call me Wednesday on the status. When they call, I tell them that they have nice application, and I’ll keep them in mind for my next vacancy.

Frank Chin