Okay, it's time to start an argument....(and a FAQ list) - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by Russ Sims on June 14, 2000 at 11:14:29:

Hi Eric: I KNOW you know. I was answering for the benefit of those who would actually like an answer…lol

Okay, it’s time to start an argument…(and a FAQ list) - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on June 13, 2000 at 11:05:06:

Okay, so I’ve been participating in this board for about a month or two, and I have to pipe up about a thing that’s bugging me. When a newbie posts a FAQ, or does or asks or says something that is clearly amateurish, you have three choices:

1. You can answer their question.
  2. You can ignore them.
  3. You can flame them.

Of course, we should all hope you would pick option 1 or 2. But, if you do go with 3, one thing that bothers me, on this board in particular, is how people say “son” when they are talking down to a newbie in a flame post. I THINK the reason that people are doing that is to make themselves look more experienced as they proceed to dress down the “ignorant”. What you come off as, however, is totally different. Rather than picturing a savvy real estate investor, I get a mental picture of a guy with 3 chins wearing a ten gallon hat, flipping a silver dollar up in the air while talking like Foghoon Leghorn, as in, “Suuuun, you’re so Green, if ah didn’t know better, I’d say you wuz seasick!” or some equally insightful colloquialism.

Now, I dislike seeing a FAQ on a board as much as the next guy, but rather than flame the unwashed masses, I think I’ll just humbly submit a FAQ list (with what I think are good answers) to the moderator, and hope they post it up for all to see. In that regard, here are a few questions I think would be appropriate for a FAQ. Please feel free to reply with any additional that you can think of.

1. How can I get started?
  2. What is the difference between Lease/Option and a Land Contract?
  3. Where can I find a hard money lender in…?
  4. Where can I find a RE Investment club in…?
  5. Is this a good deal? (Answered with a concise definition of the Comparables, Income and Cost approaches to valuation)
  6. Where can I get comps?
  7. How can I find a mentor? Can anyone here be my mentor?
  8. How do I find deals?
  9. How do I find buyers?

That’s all I can think of for now, but I know there’s more. Flame away!

Mr. VAUGHN…so what about it??? (FAQ list) - Posted by dew

Posted by dew on June 15, 2000 at 18:23:28:

Great post Eric. I’m a newbie too. What’s most difficult is searching through the “How to lists” that aren’t in any particular order. However, a “IF You’re New to CREI Start Here flashing button” would help to get them into the lists or aricles and archives first to do a little research on the basics and good books and programs to start with. So how 'bout a response Mr. Vaughn? Can it be made easier on Newbies???

Where can I find a RE Investors Club in …? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on June 14, 2000 at 03:53:27:

Eric-

That is one that comes up frequently. Instead of that person posting, it would have taken less time to get familiarized with the site and see that there is a group of links on the left side of the page within the yellow banner and a search feature.

If an FAQ is created you will still be left with your three options because the person who posted without taking a look around the site will have to be led to the FAQ.

-Chris

FAQ is a GREAT Idea !!! Add this also “If you don’t see an answer in the FAQ, do a search before you ask. Your question may have been already answered.” (nt) - Posted by bert

Posted by bert on June 13, 2000 at 19:08:56:

FAQ is a GREAT Idea !!! Add this also “If you don’t see an answer in the FAQ, do a search before you ask. Your question may have been already answered.”

Re: Well, son … - Posted by NJDave

Posted by NJDave on June 13, 2000 at 15:13:59:

Re: Just a newbies opinion - Posted by stacy

Posted by stacy on June 13, 2000 at 13:43:01:

About a year ago I found this site and was absolutely amazed at the amount of information avaliable for FREE. Every week…and some times every day I would come to the site and find an array of posts from the pro’s answering the questions I had ponder the night before. I simply couldn’t believe the gold mine I had found. As a newbie, I congratulate all of you for your willingness to share over and over again information that none of us could easily find anywhere else. I think all of those who patiently directs us toward success in our real estate aspirations are TRULY HERO’s…
Hats off to all you

Re: Okay, it’s time to start an argument…(and a FAQ list) - Posted by RD-Atl

Posted by RD-Atl on June 13, 2000 at 13:38:34:

Folks, don’t be too hard on a newbie, he/she is trying to learn. What looks so easy to you, is still a mystery to the newbie. Without practical experience, mere reading would be totally useless. Nobody learns from reading only. That is where, your experience comes in. What we, newbies, need are direction, guidence and benefit from your experience. That gives us encouragement. You may have been in the same boat, when you started.
So folks, instead of bashing, encourage us to ask more questions, eventhough they may look silly to you.
And if you decide not to give encouragement, please do not break the enthusiasm of a newbie by bashing him/her.
This is just my humble suggestion.
RD-Atl

Re: Okay, it’s time to start an argument…(and a FAQ list) - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on June 13, 2000 at 12:28:31:

Most of these questions on your FAQ are answered in the how-to-articles on this site. In know for a fact that 2,3,4,6,8, and 9 are answered there.

As for question 1, almost any investment book or course will answer this question.

Not to sound negative against “newbies” but the people who ask the above questions obviously have done little or no research on this website. The info is there.

Re: Okay, it’s time to start an argument…(and a FAQ list) - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on June 13, 2000 at 11:47:36:

Eric:

All of us that participate here at the newsgroup undoubtedly have our frustrations?..sounds like you?ve found yours. Just a few comments regarding your post.

On the surface, a FAQ sounds like a reasonable idea?.and maybe the owners of the site will take you up on it. BUT, I?d like to point out first that many of your suggested questions ARE already answered here. The answers may be found in areas like the ?How To Articles?and ?Money Making Ideas? sections. Further, there is an extensive archive where people may access information on practically any topic they could dream up?.to include many of the questions that you posed. All it takes is a couple of clicks and you?re on your way.

The problem is that sometimes the newbie asks a question without having bothered to read any of the information available here on the site. This is a source of frustration at least to me. What really is frustrating is to see a question with the identical question plus answers located just down the newsgroup page. You start to realize that sometimes people not only don?t bother to read some of the items just a few clicks away?.but they can?t even scroll down the page to see what else is being talked about, and whether the information they seek is contained therein. In the several years that I have participated here I have seen this numerous times.

So just an opinion, but I doubt that a FAQ page would do much to cut down on some of the more repetitive types of questions?.because I really doubt that most people would take the time or effort to READ the information contained on the site.

An example of this is a question that used to be asked repeatedly: ?What?s a comp???.and all of it?s variations. This question has been answered ad nauseum on the newsgroup. Finally, JP Vaughan wrote a ?How To Article? specially answering this question. I wonder how many of the newbies have actually read this article? Not many would be my guess.

Moving on though?.I agree with you, I don?t think people should be flamed for asking a question. And mostly I don?t think they are. However, the instance you cite using the word ?son? was posted probably by the same individual, an individual I?ve never seen before on the newsgroup. I don?t think I?d ever seen that particular word used over the last several years. I think it?s important to realize that people come and go here, some of whom think a great time is flaming somebody. It happens from time to time, is generally deleted when seen, but is beyond control at least temporarily.

I think it?s also important to note that what you consider to be a flame may be interpreted completely different by someone else. I think that?s a function of the type of medium this is, and the written word sometimes not being as effective as an in-person conversation. Let?s face it, it?s hard to get inflections into a sentence, try as you might.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

JPiper

Re: Okay, it’s time to start an argument…(and a FAQ list) - Posted by Bob Selby

Posted by Bob Selby on June 13, 2000 at 11:43:05:

Very valid points Eric. The only problem is that if we answer ALL those questions, those among us who make their living SELLING that information in the form of books, courses, seminars, etc etc would be out of business.

I think the reality of it is that we are all looking for information in a forum where too much free information is counterproductive to the needs of a few more well established people. Am I just a nutcase? perhaps, but thats just my 2 cents on it. I have however ran across several people who were happy to answer questions and offer help without first asking for my credit card number first, and to them I am definately thankful.

Bob Selby

http://www.metro-homes.net

You have a choice, too. - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on June 13, 2000 at 11:38:40:

Hi Eric,

First, let me say that I think a FAQ is a very good idea. I wish new visitors would use the search function more frequently. For example, I picked a random month and searched for “getting started”. Eighteen posts were found. Believe me, a FAQ page will not end the repeat newbie questions. We’ll just have another place to send them.

As for the few posts that “flame” newbie questions, let’s choose #2, and ignore them. You’ve been here long enough to know from whom you should take advice and which answers should take a grain of salt. Don’t give those idiots the pleasure of knowing you even read their posts.

P.S. I’m think the person who keeps calling everyone “son” is the same person using different names. IGNORE HIM!

Sincerely,
Jeanne

What is flipping n/t - Posted by Eric (IL)

Posted by Eric (IL) on June 13, 2000 at 11:30:34:

nt

What’s A Comp? - Posted by ScottS

Posted by ScottS on June 13, 2000 at 15:51:34:

:slight_smile:

Call me “Son” anytime - Posted by Chicago Steve

Posted by Chicago Steve on June 13, 2000 at 15:15:42:

I’m happy most are preoccupied with the quality of information made available to anyone regardless of their age or intellect or ??

Thanks Jim & Bill & Terry & Ray and all who make this such a valuable resource. Quarks and all!

Visuals - Posted by Bert G (ND)

Posted by Bert G (ND) on June 13, 2000 at 14:49:34:

Time to put my communications degree to work.

There is SOOOOO much information on this site, at first glance it can be overwhelming. I know it took me a while to be able to find my way around, and I’m still discovering new things.

One thing I’d suggest is a minor design change. I agree that a FAQ would be a good idea. When you make it, add the link at the TOP of the yellow side bar, in GREAT BIG LETTERS. The FAQ page could then include links to the various articles, newsgroups, etc. Maybe title it something like “For New Investors” or something.

Maybe its personal preference, but I find that links imbedded in running text are rather cumbersome. (See MrLandlord’s site for paragraphs full of links. It hurts my eyes). There isn’t much of that on this site, which is good. Perhaps the existance of NGII could be better displayed, however.

There has been a great deal of research done on how various colors are perceived. For example, bright yellow is the wavelength most quickly perceived. (I worked in a store where all salespeople wore BRIGHT yellow shirts for that very reason)Red & blue together can create a flickering sensation, etc. Now I’m not saying you should trash the current design and start from scratch, but there are some small things that could be done to make the site a little more visually accessable.

Just my $.07. (inflation, yaknow)

BG

An important point… - Posted by Steve-NYC

Posted by Steve-NYC on June 13, 2000 at 12:49:09:

As a newbie, I’d like to offer another view…

I believe many newbies’ overzealousness is often the result of FINALLY finding people who are “thinking like me”.

Personally, I spent several months having discouraging conversations with people who didn’t believe in REI. I also felt very isolated as I searched and searched the net for an outlet for my thoughts and ideas.

It seems to me that us newbies generally try to “test the waters” a bit with our first post, and we do so with a lot of excitement and as much knowledge as we have.

I think an FAQ list would be great. I think it’s valuable however, to allow people to “arrive” and “say hello” and then gently direct to the appropriate resources.

Hope that made sense, thanks for everyone’s help,

-Steve

Isn’t it funny… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on June 13, 2000 at 12:33:01:

…that on Newgroup 2 you can go there once a week and 10 different people ask some form of the question “Is Carleton Sheets course any good?” or “Does his course work in YOURCITY,USA ?” I mean come on, can’t they read the other 100 or so posts on this subject. Scary.

Thanks, Jim - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on June 13, 2000 at 12:27:17:

This is exactly what I was trying to say!

Jeanne

Not quite true - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on June 13, 2000 at 12:39:42:

Bob,

I disagree. This website offers a volume of free, good information to anyone who takes the time to read it. Bill Bronchick, Joe Kaiser, Lonnie Scruggs, Ernest Tew, and Ray Alcorn all sell books and courses, and all spend their own free-time contributing to our message boards, not with teaser answers or “buy my course” sales pitches, but with good, solid, practical, well-thought-out, detailed advice. Free information has NEVER been counter-productive to this forum, quite the contrary.

Sincerely,
Jeanne