Old but inspiring - Posted by will(WA)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on June 12, 2006 at 21:03:33:

At MHM, about a week ago, Jim Clayton was the keynote speaker. He also took the time to sing and play guitar for us, and participate in the roundtables. He brought the management team from his banks, from Clayton Homes, and the man that put together most of his park acquisitions. I, like many others who attended, got to meet him personally, ask questions of him and his staff, and we got autographed copies of his book. He is very genuine and personable.

Since that article was written, he has sold Clayton Homes, the parks, and the financing arm to Warren Buffet. His son still runs the company. Jim now focuses on Clayton Bank. The bank is “mobile home friendly”; financing inventory for dealers, loaning on note bundles for Lonnie dealers and financing parks. Unlike most banks, they seem to understand the business and want to participate.

Hell, I’m 57, and when I grow up. I want to be like him.

Joe C. (AR)

Old but inspiring - Posted by will(WA)

Posted by will(WA) on June 12, 2006 at 19:43:47:

While Googling the net today, I found this old Forbes.com on-line article about the owner of Clayton Homes. I found it interesting and inspring…When I finally grow up I want to be like him!

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2002/0930/400072.html

Re: Old but (thought you were talking 'bout me) - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on June 12, 2006 at 21:20:08:

The article may be old, but that is not how I’d describe Jim Clayton–he’s a senior hunk! What is really great about him is not only his honorable way w/folks, but the way he fosters the best in others. He wrote his autobiography, Warren Buffett read it, then bought Jim’s company the following week.

Tye