Old Mobile Home/ Storage Shed - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on June 19, 2011 at 12:20:37:

I would not recommend the roof over that was built on this one. I bought the park and this home and others were like it.

Recently here at this site there was a thread about roofing options. It wasn’t long ago and I know Dr. B responded. Check that string if you can find it for more ideas and alternatives.

Tony

Old Mobile Home/ Storage Shed - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on June 16, 2011 at 07:08:09:

I have suggest this idea in the past but recent questions have prompted me to make a new post.

Years ago in a small mobile home park I owned I had an old, small mobile home that was no longer marketable no matter what I did to it.

The lot itself was ver small and set at the very end of the park. No new singlewide would fit so I decided to buy a 40 foot by 24 foot doublwide to squeeze into this spot. I had to turn the home sideways a bit to make it all work but work it did. In doing this I turned the worst home in the park into the best and not only did I provide a better home but I increased the income by double. In essence I turned that small lot into the same income as two good lots.

But the story gets better.

Rather than demolishing the old singlewide (our dump wont’ take them othewise) I paid the mover $200 bucks to move the home a few lots down to a small area that was not permitted for use as a rental lot but was available (the county) as a place for a storage unit.

I skirted the home and added steps which made the home look like any other in the park and no one passing through would have known otherwise. I could not have bought any storage unit for $200 much less one of this size. Even a small mobile home makes for a huge storage unit. We kept all the parts, supplies, lawnmowers and scraps needed to maintain the park right inside this unit.

I saved over $1,000 in not having to demolish this home and I got a huge storage shed. I also filled an odd, vacant space in the park.

For those with small or large parks I would recommend you consider the savings this type of approach could provide and the multiple benefits you may reap. Not to mention it makes you one super kickin “recycler!”

Tony

Re: Old Mobile Home/ Storage Shed - Posted by BB

Posted by BB on June 16, 2011 at 18:10:38:

What was the approximate size of the small MH? I previously posted that I have a stipped out 16 x 80 MH that was used as a storage shed by the previous owner. I am using it as storage but it is taking up a BIG space. I would like a smaller unit like a 14 x 50 MH to use as a storage shed. Just wondering about the size of storage unit.

Re: Old Mobile Home/ Storage Shed - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on June 16, 2011 at 19:21:17:

I don’t recall the exact measurements but it was no bigger than 12x50 and maybe not that long. It had a roof over that with trusses supported only on the original walls (not good) but it held up going down the hill. The mover said he was amazed at how heavy the home was and that it took 2 jacks.

Tony

Re: Old Mobile Home/ Storage Shed - Posted by darrellc

Posted by darrellc on June 19, 2011 at 10:52:34:

The comment about roof over caught my interest. I have nice 1967 12x60 that needs the roof and the ceiling replaced. Because about half the trusses are rotted out, I’m thinking about peeling off the roof…replacing all trusses and placing a metal pitched roof. Any thoughts ? The home was near perfect before the roof leaks started.

Re: Old Mobile Home/ Storage Shed - Posted by BB

Posted by BB on June 16, 2011 at 20:09:13:

Old mobile homes were built like tanks. One of my
favorites was a 1971 Richardson. I hated selling it but
the park took a different direction. All my MH’s are on
my land. Boy, did I get off topic.