Older double-wide - Posted by Ted

Posted by Todd on January 31, 2002 at 21:05:35:

$4000 is still awfully high for a move and block to level job. I’m a contractor here in Nashville and I’m sure you could get it for less. If you think you can sell it and be the bank you should be able to get a nice profit out of the deal. But I would really check with othere contractors about the price of set up. good luck

Older double-wide - Posted by Ted

Posted by Ted on January 29, 2002 at 12:53:29:

I own a park in North Dakota which I am working to fill-up. I spoke to several MH Dealers in the area and let them know I am looking for older homes that I can buy right. I was contacted by a dealer yesterday about a 1973 Bonnavilla 28x56 with newer steel siding and a new 4-12 pitch shingled roof. From the pictures it looks to be in good shape. Most likely upgrade the carpets but otherwise no major problems. One owner: older single man in his 70’s. I think I can get it for about $3000 and it will cost me about $6000 to move and set-up again. The lot rents in this area are about $145 per month plus I could sell it on contract or rent it out. A present I have just single wide homes in the park but I would like to get some doubles.

Question: Is my time better spent looking somewhere else or should I drive 60 miles to look at this one? I also rehab houses for extra income.

Ted

Re: Older double-wide - Posted by Chuck (AZ)

Posted by Chuck (AZ) on January 29, 2002 at 16:38:58:

$6000 to move it? Wow!

If you can’t get a MUCH better rate, I’d pass… that expense alone will make it very difficult to make a profit on it… and would easily pay for 3 S/W’s.

I have a guy in Tucson who will move one across town (no permits needed) in hook and go condition for $200, but I’ve never needed his services.

Re: Older double-wide - Posted by Ted

Posted by Ted on January 29, 2002 at 23:24:13:

I can move a single across town for about $200 also but doubles run about $3500-4500 plus about $1500-2000 to set-up and skirt. That is how I arrived at $6000. I went and looked at the house. It is in great shape for the age. I told the owner he would have to give it to me for me to come out on it. He said he would get back to me. I talked to a mover tonight and he said he would move it for $4000. If I skirt and hook-up it up myself I can do it for about $700 for a total cost of $4700 plus my time and labor. Would that be a fair price for a 1450 square foot house?