Older Houses - Bad Floors - Posted by Beverly

Posted by Bud Branstetter on April 28, 2000 at 15:01:38:

One of the problems you get on wood joists is that they have a memory. If you raise the exterior walls or lower the interior wall you will still have a bow. How much will somewhat depend on the uniqueness of each joist. You end up replacing them or cosmetically covering the problem.

Older Houses - Bad Floors - Posted by Beverly

Posted by Beverly on April 28, 2000 at 09:12:29:

My sister & I are just starting in the investment of rental property and we are focusing on older neighborhood single family homes. We are finding alot of floors are not just uneven but seem to have weak spots. When making an offer on these houses, should we insist on the offer being contingent on termite inspection? We are not prepared to do major rehab work, mostly cosmetic. Any help would be appreciated.
Beverly

Re: Older Houses - Bad Floors - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on April 28, 2000 at 10:49:45:

Speaking of floor problems, does anyone have suggestions on this one? I’m working on a 1914 2-story SFH. In the dining room, the center of the floor (directly over the furnace and a big basement pillar) is over an inch higher than at the walls. On the second floor, the bedroom hardwood floor has a hill, which is directly over a support wall below; theres a 1.5" gap below the baseboard at the corners.

Basically, it looks like the brick foundation has settled, but the mid-floor posts in the basement didn’t.I’m afraid jacking up a house this age could be disastrous, likewise replacing the 12X12’s with adjustable screw jackposts.

At least there are no termites in North Dakota. (and darn few roaches)
BG

Here a termite inspection only costs $24, it a bargain and a must! NT - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on April 28, 2000 at 10:29:19:

Re: Older Houses - Bad Floors - Posted by Jen-LA

Posted by Jen-LA on April 28, 2000 at 10:12:16:

Beverly- see scott’s post below about floors. Also, I don’t know where you are, but in Louisiana EVERY house sold has to be free and clear of termites- an inspection is done on each one before closing can occur. Usually the seller pays as per the contract, but sometimes when they are “as-is” the buyer will pay for the inspection. This might just be here though. But if thats not the case where you live, YES! Always make your offers contingent on termite inspection. The floors could just be rotten though from water damage and that is not such a big deal to replace if its just subfloor under vinyl or carpet- oak strip or something like that could cost a little more however. I would suggest finding a carpenter or someone to do that work for you and getting estimates each time so you don’t get any suprises.
Good luck!
-Jen

Re: Older Houses - Bad Floors - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on April 28, 2000 at 09:44:38:

Leaking water in bathrooms, kithchens and utility rooms is a common culprit of weak spots in floors. I can usually spot termite damage in wooden floors by looking for grooves left behind from above the floor. Also the attic trusses are common spots for termite damage. Check outside eaves and facia board also. Termite inspections usually confine their scope to any evidence of termites. They will look til they find some. They usually will not scour the house looking for all damaged areas. If you are not into rehab just avoid any you find with extensive damage. Cost to treat an avg house in my area is about $500. Not a deal killer. Repairs are another matter. Make the seller responsible to pay in your offer. Any major weak spots should be investigated and repaired.