Open house suggestions....... - Posted by DavidV

Posted by Bert G on June 05, 1999 at 13:29:02:

“Bake cookies or something so the house smells “homey””,

A little vanilla extract in a pie plate in a warm oven gives the house that “just baked” aroma without the mess of the real thing.

BG

Open house suggestions… - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on June 03, 1999 at 20:08:22:

Open house coming up in a couple of weeks and i wanted to hear some ideas that you guys use. I already have the champagne and cavier by the way. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
David

Re: Open house suggestions… - Posted by mike

Posted by mike on June 05, 1999 at 22:38:43:

discuss at least three different ways in which the seller would sell. draft them in offer form. have him sign them. stack them up on the coffee table. each buyer party gets to study and review. first signed buyer back to the seller gets the deal. stuff your cookies!

Re: Open house suggestions… - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on June 04, 1999 at 18:49:57:

Dave,
You may also want to mail about 500 flyers to possible prospects and don’t make the time of your open house too long. Usually, no more than 1.5 hours. Serve BBQ chicken and ice cream to keep them there longer and get them talking. Besides just selling the house you may pick up one or two more homes to purchase and get name recognition.

Make it fun and good luck.

Re: Open house suggestions… - Posted by Carmen

Posted by Carmen on June 04, 1999 at 08:08:01:

For an “average” neighborhood, what I have found that works is:

1. Putting an ad in the paper beginning the Friday before if it’s going to be on a weekend (although most people will probably come from other sources)

2. Put out “Open House” signs with arrows and the address in VERY BIG LETTERS at all major intersections near the home - even if they are blocks away. Put enough of these arrows leading to the house so that people don’t think they are lost and give up before getting to your open house. Putting balloons on the signs also helps make them more visible, but make sure they are not helium or on VERY short strings if they will be near traffic, and that they will not block the writing! You don’t want to cause any accidents.

3. Put a very large OPEN HOUSE sign at the home while you are there.

4. Keep the front and back doors open. If possible, put window blinds or other window treatments up. Put in shower curtains in the bathrooms (sounds strange, but it seems to help). Make sure the house is spotless, turn on ALL the lights (even if it’s day time), and make sure it smells good. Bake cookies or something so the house smells “homey”, or use one of those potpourri cookers. Have some sort of snack handy.

5. Create brightly colored flyers with ALL the pertinent information including a picture - neighborhood, number of rooms, baths, schools districts, taxes, construction, roof type, and all good features (new roof, pool, tile floors, etc., etc.). Remember your telephone number! Hand out to EVERY HOUSE in the neighborhood before you start the open house. Talk to the neighbors if you see any. Wave. Be friendly.

6. Leave copies of the flyer and stacks of business cards on a convenient counter or table near the front door. Create a “sign-in” sheet and put it next to the flyers. Greet people at the door, and ask them to please sign in (include name, telephone, address, & a place for them to write what they are looking for). Most people will fill it out. You’ll have a list of prospects for other properties as well.

7. Do not follow people around the house. (If the house is occupied/furnished, lock away all valuables first.) They don’t need you to point out "this is the bedroom, this is the bathroom ", and the more people in a room the smaller it looks. Answer questions, but don’t crowd. No one likes a hard sell.

8. If you can, have a mortgage broker go to the open house with you. Many offer to do it, for the business. That way, people can get prequalified “instantly” - and you get more qualified buyers for the future (and the mortgage broker gets a flow of qualified candidates for his biz)

9. Follow up after the open house with phone calls and/or notes to the people thanking them for coming to the open house (mention the address), and telling them to contact you if they have any questions.

10. Take a cell phone with you, for emergencies, and don’t forget toilet paper! If you are alone in the house, think safety, too, and don’t let anyone “trap” you in a room or corner. Always have an out.

I know this was long, and I hope it helps. Good luck!

Carmen

Re: Open house suggestions… - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on June 05, 1999 at 13:42:09:

“Bake cookies or something so the house smells “homey””,

A little vanilla extract in a pie plate in a warm oven gives the house that “just baked” aroma without the mess of the real thing.

BG

You can look into baking cookies and making sure that the home smells nice, but when people go to an open house they care more about how the home is presented and not what scent welcomes them in. Of course, you could do both, but one thing that will result in an open house that generates leads is aspect. The home must be clean, as clutterless as possible, and for that something extra, make it look lived in with a few carefully selected decorating items. Think pillows, throw blankets, plants and rugs. Add to that the smell of something home cooked like cookies, and the scent of lavender (not as sweet and pungent as vanilla) and you’ll have a successful open house in no time.

Another little hack I have heard of, though I haven’t tried it myself, is to send a lemon down the garbage disposal for a fresh smell.

Edit: wow, I only now noticed the original post is from two decades ago…