out-o-towners - Posted by matt(GA)

Posted by don, sdca on March 21, 2001 at 21:33:04:

(nt)

out-o-towners - Posted by matt(GA)

Posted by matt(GA) on March 20, 2001 at 19:53:44:

Hello. Found a great fixer upper house in a wonderful riverside neighboorhood and went to the courthouse to do my research. Turns out the owners inherited it and live in Ohio. I live in GA. What is the best way for me to get in touch with the owners and how hard is a deal to do when the owners live out of state?

Great Opportunity… - Posted by Rick Wheat

Posted by Rick Wheat on March 21, 2001 at 04:13:31:

to make a deal happen! Out of town owners of vacant houses, especially the ones that have inherited them, make GREAT SELLERS!!!

Usually the houses are a burden to deal with from the standpoint of securing them, marketing them, showing them, etc.

Not only that, but lots of times the sellers are looking at “free money” that they weren’t expecting, and may be pretty flexible to some creative financing terms.

Or on the other hand, they may be so tight financially that the thought of making a mortgage on an empty house in another city makes them ill. These are also good prospects for buying “Subject-To” the mortgage. My Specialty!

Do whatever it takes to establish a good line of communication with the sellers, and it should pay of very handsomely!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Rick Wheat
www.realworldrealestate.com

Re: out-o-towners - Posted by don, sdca

Posted by don, sdca on March 20, 2001 at 20:27:55:

The assessor or tax collector should have the mailing address for the owner/property tax payor. Get the address and drop them a note about your interest.

Get their phone number and follow-up, follow-up, follow-up, etc. You had better be prepared about what your going to say before calling though.

Establishing a productive yet profitable “relationship” will probably be the hardest part of working with an out-of-state owner (its much harder establishing trust and credibility on the phone)! Closing will be handled just the same except with FedEx shipments, etc.

Best of luck,

don, sdca

Re: out-o-towners - Posted by Zach

Posted by Zach on March 21, 2001 at 20:00:46:

Fed Ex? Never done an out of town deal…it would make sense that it would be done this way, but could someone go into a little more detail about it? Are there special forms to be filled, or does the title company take care of everything?