outdated floor plans... - Posted by rayrick

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on June 07, 1999 at 16:14:49:

Rayrick,

Depending on what rooms and areas are close to the small galley kitchen it could be an easy fix.

For instance if there is a large room next to the kitchen where all that was needed was to move a “non-support” wall, to open the area up.

It is very reasonable to move one or two walls, but of course it still would have to be purchased with those costs in mind.

If this is being thought of as a flip canidate, assume that no walls can be moved and nothing can be done to improve the kitchen.

Small almost non-exsistant kitchens are not a problem for empty nesters that want somewhere for everyone to come and stay, but don’t need a kitchen big enough to feed an army.

Mark R in KCMO

outdated floor plans… - Posted by rayrick

Posted by rayrick on June 07, 1999 at 15:31:27:

I’ve heard that a house with an outdated floor plan is considered to have “the wrong things wrong” as far as being a rehab candidate is concerned. Just wanted to ask people’s opinion about a house that’s come across my radar…

The people called on my ad, it’s an estate, it’s owned free and clear and they seem quite motivated to unload it. The 75K asking price is quite low for the area. The house is very large, 5 bedrooms, lots of character, on a great double lot. It needs some work, but not much. Here’s the kicker- it’s got a teeny weeny “galley” kitchen. I’m just not sure how this would affect the marketability of the place.

My approach would be to get it under contract and flip it, but that galley kitchen gives me pause. I guess the bottom line is I just don’t know how to estimate FMV for a house with this sort of quirk. Thoughts? Opinions?

-Ray