Own Land Free and Clear but it is LandLocked! Can I establish trailer park?

I own 1 acre free and clear. I purchased it at an auction for a low amount. When I tried to sell the property the realtor told me it is possibly landlocked and might not have road frontage. No perk tests have been done so unsure whether or not it will perk for a septic system or have access to water & sewer. My realtor doesn’t want to list it for sale because she wouldn’t make any money off of it that would be worth the hassle.

I am curious as to what options that I have on what to do with this property. It is on the Maryland Eastern Shore so I wanted to establish a trailer park community. Do you have to get the approval from the county in order to establish a trailer park community? If so isn’t it a long and draw out process to change the assessment type from residential to trailer park?

Any input on possible options that I have would be appreciated.

A couple of concerns jump out immediately.

1 acre will likely only support 1 home in my mountain area but if you have flat land you might get another but no real mobile home park on only an acre.

Zoning. Much of your posts contains questions that can only be answered at your local zoning office. Find out what the property is zoned for. Find out if what legal access you have to the property through someone elses property. Find out the requirements for septic systems and how much land they will consume. Does your area require a “repair field?” In my area you need to have unused land that of equal size to your septic field that could be used in the event your system fails. This eats up land.

If you don’t have access to public water what will a well cost and how far does your septic system have to be from your well. This can also consume a lot of land.

Typically with lots like this I find that your market is going to be a neighbor who would like to control that land, especially if you mention wanting to put a mobile home on it. This might motivate them to buy.

Tony

Jr,
This will be a great experience for you.

Pardon my bluntness but: The first lesson is that it is highly imprudent to buy property that you don’t already KNOW or are pretty sure what to do with. I know you got it cheap but a worthless property at any price is still worthless. Are you familiar with the swampland for sale in several states.

That being said, go to your county courthouse/admin. bldg. with deed in hand and find out:
A: Is the property landlocked?
B: Is their ANY existing right-of-way through others’ property to get to yours.
C: Where are the utilities?

Sometimes, depending on local law, a utility right-of-way may get you access if you get written permission. But that is only as good as long as the utility allows. Sometimes you can purchase a long-term lease for right-of-way from a neighboring landowner. Sometimes you can buy some land from a neighbor that will get you access to the road. Sometimes you can get a permit to fly in by helicopter (I know someone who did this but it was much more than 1 acre). Sometimes you just bought a worthless piece of property.

Like Tony says: No one wants a MHP adjacent to their land. Rumors that happen to spread about that possibility might motivate the neighbors to buy from you. However, if they are the least bit savvy, they probably know it is not feasible. In most cases, building a new park is not feasible because of the cost, zoning issues, neighbors, county, and state opposition.

Alternatively, if they learn you want to put a MHP in they may NEVER cooperate with your getting access to that land even if you just want to pitch a tent for the weekend.

I have no idea of your experience level, but I would advise you choose a different project for this land. Perhaps one to four double wides you can place and sell or rent. IF you have access.

When I lived on the eastern shore, I had a well driven (they don’t drill them there, just drive it down the thirty feet with a water jet) and there was a pretty good distance it had to be from the septic system. That would limit the number and size of homes you could put there.

This will give you great experience in determining the type of land you want to look for to develop in any manner.

Steve