Owner Passed Away--Need Help - Posted by CTChap

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 25, 1999 at 17:47:31:

Depending on your state laws there is a process of Avidavits of Heirship. For small estates this bypasses the normal process of probate to pass title. You would need two people in the neighborhood that knew these people were the only children. You will probably need to speak with an attorney in your area on the best way to secure title.

Owner Passed Away–Need Help - Posted by CTChap

Posted by CTChap on March 25, 1999 at 15:04:49:

I found a vacant property awhile ago, and through some research found that the owner had passed away. I then found out that her 2 brothers and sister were trying to handle the property.

House appraised last 2 years at $40k

The family says they want $28k
(Since they have no intrest in the property I’m offering $18k)

It needs some work, I’m going to get bids on it the weekend.

No one knows were the title is or how to get it.

I spoke to someone today and they said everything would have to wait until this goes to probate, since the owner didn’t have a will. Is this true? Is there something I can do to move this along?

Thanks for all responses.

CTChap

Re: Owner Passed Away–Need Help - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on March 26, 1999 at 16:47:38:

The heirship affidavit is possible depending on what state you are in. However, in most states a probate proceeding must be approved in court. Since he died with no will this complicates things further.

Ask the heirs about filing a probate proceeding. Also ask a local title company what would need to be done to insure title. You might be able to purchase a title commitment for a small amount of money.