owner wants more than what contract is for - Posted by loanwithkathy

Posted by ski on March 21, 2006 at 19:22:40:

A good object lesson is to be learned here. ALWAYS use a contract that has been gone over with a fine toothed comb by your attorney. Do not use contracts from office depot, office max, wally world. Check out what others have done sucessfully such as those on this post. Ask dem dat nose afore you sign any contract.

owner wants more than what contract is for - Posted by loanwithkathy

Posted by loanwithkathy on March 21, 2006 at 17:21:48:

I signed a contract with an owner a few days ago and we agreed to a price of 100k and her home is currently valued at 115k, she is giving me signs that she wants out of the contract, should i record the contract? Does any one know any thing that i can say to her with out being blantant?

Re: owner wants more than what contract is for - Posted by speednxs

Posted by speednxs on March 24, 2006 at 11:30:41:

There is an interesting bit of psychology going on here. Kind of like “buyer’s remorse” that car buyers seem to get. This is “better deal” syndrome.

When the buyer had no deal, she had lot’s of anxiety. You deal lowered her anxiety level. Now that she has little anxiety she wants a better deal.

Kind of like if you have no boyfriend anyone looks good. Once you take the first guy to come along and start noting his faults, everyone else starts looking better.

Maybe you need to “restore” her anxiety level to pre-your deal level :slight_smile:

Just expect this in the future, it will happen again.

Re: owner wants more than what contract is for - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on March 21, 2006 at 18:06:59:

I do not know about the practice or “recording” a contract. I haven’t done this in any of the states I have done business in (AZ, CA, HI, TX). Its enforceable once signed whether you record it or not. Does the contract give her any way to cancel it. For example, sometimes there is a dollar amount and time frame. If the deal is in CA or AZ, they have a statuatory time within which the buyer can unilaterally cancel any sales agreemen. I do not know if the seller has the same right.

Regarding attorney’s fees. Unless the contract says that the winner gets reimbursed, you would be aout any fees incurred if she was smart enough to read the contract. In which case, you would not fare well financially trying to enforce the contract.

Re: owner wants more than what contract is for - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by Luke Hoppel on March 21, 2006 at 17:35:52:

If she signed and she has no escape contingincies, then I would firmly tell her that she has no choice but to sell and if she decides to fight it, you will be forced to got a lawyer and take it to court and make sure you tell her that there is no way she will win, and not only that but she will have to pay for hers and your lawyer fees.
Sometime a simple threat is all it takes.
You are the one in control here though. Remember that.
Good Luck,
Luke