Owners of Abandoned Properties question.... - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on April 24, 2000 at 14:26:37:

George,
So you are in Franklin county, the state capital and the most populas city in Ohio. Been there, done that, and don"t want to do that any more. You are welcome to it.
I live in Vinton county. No online court house, only 2 traffic lights in the entire county (one of them is in front of the court house). A little over 11,000 people here (about the same number that you have at a major intersection during rush hour). 75 miles from your court house more or less. Poverty is abundant, property values are low. A deal that we refer to as “good n’uff” is here to be had every now and then…ED

Owners of Abandoned Properties question… - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by George(OH) on April 24, 2000 at 12:30:09:

Usually when I try to find the owner, I go to either Octitle or my county auditor’s website. When this does not work, should I go down to the Recorder’s office (they don’t have a website yet)?

Also, what does it mean when I look at the tax records and the mailing address is an out of state company? Should I attempt to deal with these companies?

Thanks for any responses,

George(OH)

Re: Owners of Abandoned Properties question… - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on April 24, 2000 at 12:53:24:

George,
When the tax bill are going to an out of state company it is probably because the taxes are being paid through an escrow account by the company that is collecting the mortgage payment.
Octitle is worthless in my county in Ohio, because the court house is not on line at all. Here is how I get info: I take my person to the court house and first go to the Auditors office. I can look at a map and determine where the property is for example S.W. corner or Main nad Elm, My town. Then I get a reference to get out the Tax card (it is still on cards) then I have a reference number for the info from the Recorders office (about 50 feet away). I go there and look it up in a book. The Recorders office has copies of the deed (this will show me who the owner is) as well as mortgages etc. The actual address of the owner is found in the Auditors office in my county. I usually also stop in at the Treasurers office to see if the taxes ate paid up, and then I also go to the Clerk of Courts office to see if there are any leins or judgements against the owner. Hopefully this will help you out a little…ED

Re: Owners of Abandoned Properties question… - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by George(OH) on April 24, 2000 at 13:02:01:

Thanks a bunch, Ed!! BTW, what county are you? The reason I ask is that you say the court house is not on line. In my county (Franklin), I have access to Auditor’s info online. Just curious.

Thanks again,

George(OH)