Paint colors in rentals - Posted by Gary (TX)

Posted by Craig (AL) on May 01, 2007 at 12:26:49:

When I was doing SFH’s back in the 80’s I bought what was know at the time as renters white. It was a yellowish/beigh/white color. Go to an independant paint store and find the oldest person there. That person will know what your asking about.

Craig

Paint colors in rentals - Posted by Gary (TX)

Posted by Gary (TX) on April 18, 2007 at 13:58:27:

I am wondering what you other s are doing in there rentals? I have been painting all of mine white on white and I was thinking of maybe painting the walls a different color. Maybe and off white.

I know it is more work. Let me know what you other people are doing with your rentals?

Re: Paint colors in rentals - Posted by land-o

Posted by land-o on April 20, 2007 at 05:53:32:

we paint the insides and the outside white, no colors ever except the
skirting steel. When we install a replacement trailer, usually the walls
are still okay and maybe need a miniwax stain wipe to make nice or
just scrubbed, so

For the ceiling’s I get home depo’s contractor grade semi gloss white
($44 for 5 gal) And I get a couple of cans of spray kilZ, I spot all the
bleed through areas with Kilz, and calk all the trim and gaps. Then I
take a piece of cardboard and spray the edges that are stained with the
Kilz, Then I roll the whole ceiling, but only get close (within 1/2 inch)
to the edge and not right to it, the whole job takes about 3 hours and
looks clean and fresh, and only takes about 3 gallons, and 3 cans of
kilz, and maybe 6 tubes of calk.

I also use 3 ribbed roofing steel for the skirting because the plastic
skirting gets destroyed by the contracted mowers’ weed eaters, I
scrounge used steel at auctions and the steel recycler. I usually paint
any off colored ones to match the main color of the steel. Then when I
paint the outsides, everything is painted white.

Re: Paint colors - Posted by will(wa)

Posted by will(wa) on April 18, 2007 at 17:57:40:

I’ve had the paint dept at Home Depot tinted Kilz for me in the past. I chose a nice neutral light tan color from the Ralph Laruen collection. I loved it but the buyers hated and painted over it. To each his own, I guess they didn’t like RL too much.

Will

Kilz Original - Posted by Ryan (NC)

Posted by Ryan (NC) on April 18, 2007 at 16:39:00:

There are many benefits and very few draw backs from using it for a primer and topcoat.

The draw backs I’ve found are that it is a flat paint and as such it isn’t washable while the bright white does seem to show dirt a little. And it smells pretty bad unless you get really good ventilation going.

The benefits are: it looks great and gives a perfect bright clean appearance. White is a extremely neutral color that isn’t going to turn anyone off. It sticks to darn near anything and won’t bubble like latex. Nicotine stains won’t bleed back through it. The color matches ever time and you can touch up areas as needed between tenants without trying to match colors or repainting entire rooms. It comes in spray cans that can be used to trim corners etc. speeding up the painting time. it cost about $30 less per 5 gal bucket than most latex. And there are more, simply put it’s fast, cheap, and it works.

Tony & Chris R. have talked about kilz before and credit goes to them… If you can keep the paint fumes down the stuff does wonders to a house!

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

Re: Paint colors in rentals - Posted by Brian

Posted by Brian on April 18, 2007 at 14:33:29:

Well I would recommend a light tan so it doesn’t show dirt and other marks quite as bad. But that’s just my preference.