painting an old mobile home - Posted by larry

Posted by Don-NY on March 12, 2006 at 10:51:39:

My method:
Pressure wash the unit, using simple green. (A 1400 psi washer is now less than $100.00) And then paint it with a good quality exterior latex using an airless (pump type) sprayer. Just use a carboard masking board held up against the windows, and be mindfull of overspray drift. (Move all cars and stuff away) I can do one in 4-5 hours. The sprayer gets behind overlaps and into the nooks and crannies for a more uniform job.
Not the right way not the wrong way just MY way :slight_smile:

painting an old mobile home - Posted by larry

Posted by larry on March 11, 2006 at 15:56:14:

I JUST CLOSED ON A SW L/H AND I WANT TO PAINT THE OUTSIDE OF THE HOME. IT IS AN OLDER METAL SIDED HOME. WHAT PAINT DO ANY OF YOU SUGGEST? THANKS IN ADVANCE

not too tough - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on March 12, 2006 at 08:32:20:

Larry,
Get a box of TSP from the hardware or grocery store. Scrub down the sides with one of those brushes that attaches to the end of your paint-roller extension pole. Allow to dry (not long).

Get a 12" paint-roller setup with a 3/4 nap roller cover. Buy at least 5 gal. of decent quality latex exterior paint like Behr or Sherwin-Williams. Paint with a brush about 2 inches around the windows, doors, roof edge, and skirting. Roll the rest with vertical srokes of the roller on an extension. By the time you’re around the home, the first part is dry, go around again.

It takes me about 6 hours to paint a 12 X 60 and 7 hrs. for a 14 X 70.

PS. If you paint the trailer all one color (except for the shutters) it is faster and looks more modern.

Happy Trail(er)s,
Steve