palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by William Bronchick on February 20, 2002 at 15:39:13:

I don’t usually pay interest on seller carryback notes.

palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on February 19, 2002 at 11:38:35:

I would like some advise on buying either a financial calculator $40-$120 or a palm pilot $170-$300-more?. cost IS an important factor, but the unlimited uses of a palm pilot really attract me. since I have never owned one I cant say what some of the advantages would be. Are there any applications that may have helped others in real estate investing. any information would be appriciated and thanks for your time.

just my thoughts
Todd Williamson (CO)

Re: palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on February 19, 2002 at 22:14:03:

I personally have both, but you can get a palm pilot and d/l software on to it for cheap, cheap, cheap that is a financial calculator. I have the software on my palm, but I tend to reach for my financial calculator everytime I want to figure something out…go figure!

CAREY

Re: palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by brian

Posted by brian on February 19, 2002 at 20:45:57:

you say that cost is important to you! That means you havent made very much money in real estate and thats what i would concentrate on, not looking for the best toys. do one deal that will take 2-3 months and make 20k plus then you can buy 3 of each. you might as well buy 3 because theyre all going to just sit around after you open them up. if you need that much info. at your disposal to decide on whether or not to purchase a property, then you probably shouldnt purchase that property. buy a nice 5 day calender to put into your dayplanner/binder and a few pens and get out there and look for deals!!!

good luck

Neither . . . use your ten fingers and a date book - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on February 19, 2002 at 20:07:51:

I don’t have a financial calculator. I don’t know how to use a financial calculator. If I can’t figure out a deal on my 10 fingers, it probably isn’t a good enough deal.

How many dumb people do you know are making riches buying for $1 and selling for $1.50? Does that take a sophisticated financial calculator?

As for the calender, a paper one for $15 works fine.

Go for both in the same price range - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on February 19, 2002 at 19:14:13:

In that same 40-120 dollar range, you could pick up a Hewlett Packard handheld PC. It’s a full blown PC that is calculator size with organizer functions, Excel, MS Word. Some are email and internet capable also.

The models begin with the HP95LX and range up to the HP720. For some reason, the HP95,HP100,HP200 era are in high demand, though still reasonable. The 300-600 era which are much more powerful are a much better bargain. For example, my son needed a Graphics calculator for math class. I got him a 320LX for $54 which is about 1/4 what the preferred graphics calculator would have cost. The 320LX smokes any kind of other calculator and it has all the Palmtop organizer capabilities also - as well as the internet. There are many hundreds of programs, games, etc. that can also be downloaded. The palmtop also “Synchs” with your computer to transfer files and data or to print.

You can find the used palmtops on www.ebay.com real cheap.

Re: palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by Mark(CO)

Posted by Mark(CO) on February 19, 2002 at 18:27:02:

I have a palm M505. I use it all the time. As far as the calculator goes, I bought and installed FCPlus professional version 2.3 from Infinity Softowrks (about $40). The neat thing with it is it will show the amortization table, allowing me to compair between (using two columns) begining balance, end balance, payment, principal and interest. I can also easily check all the above for any period I want. It also comes with a bunch of worksheets (bond, breakeven, cash flow etc). www.infinitysw.com
I can also use word and excel files (copies of property info sheet, l/o, contracts etc).

Re: palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by Frank detroit

Posted by Frank detroit on February 19, 2002 at 17:56:05:

I’ve downloaded a financial calculator and mortgage calculator to my palm pilot for no cost (google search for palm calculators). I have the cheap palm - its less than $100. Its nice to have the calculators handy when on the road.

Frank

thanks - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on February 19, 2002 at 15:49:26:

thanks for your time reading/responding.
just my thoughts
Todd Williamson(CO)

Re: palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on February 19, 2002 at 14:36:43:

Here is another site.

http://www-sci.lib.uci.edu/HSG/RefCalculators.html

Re: palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on February 19, 2002 at 14:30:31:

You obviously have a computer and you say money is tight. Why buy either one. Here is a site with all the financial calculators you could ever want for free.

http://tcalc.com/tvwww.dll?user?tmplt=usertool.htm

People laugh, but for the… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on February 19, 2002 at 13:47:33:

Money… 20 bucks or so at Wally world…

As far as palm pilot couldnt tell you…

Don’t use one…

David Alexander

Re: palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by Alan A. Hereford

Posted by Alan A. Hereford on February 19, 2002 at 12:14:51:

I have been a devoted Palm user for many years but when I took a class on discounted notes I found it much easyer to use the HP12c that I inheireted from my dad.

Neither . . . use your ten fingers and a date book - Posted by CH

Posted by CH on February 19, 2002 at 22:50:56:

Based on your reply, I’d stick to legal metters…

How do you figure mortgage payments? (nt) - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on February 19, 2002 at 22:08:44:

Re: Go for both in the same price range - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on February 19, 2002 at 20:22:33:

WOW, thanks for the info John, I really appriciate it. hows the note biz?
thanks for your time
Todd Williamson(CO)

Re: palm pilot or financial calculator - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on February 19, 2002 at 20:25:01:

thanks mark…that is what I was looking for. hows the montrose area holding up?

just my thoughts
Todd Williamson(CO)

Palm Pilot - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on February 19, 2002 at 17:49:58:

Do you use a day planner? does it have all you phone numbers in it? goals? activities?

If you just want it for calculations, don’t.

I’ll give you my Elwood tables for free… - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on February 19, 2002 at 18:59:02:

…or, I think I have a slide rule around here somewhere. Combine that with an abacus, charcoal and an old animal skin and you have the 2002 road warrior system. Sadly though, that is 2002 BC.

Re: Neither . . . - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on February 20, 2002 at 09:12:17:

legal “metters?”

Based on YOUR reply, I’d stick to anything that doesn’t more than a 3rd grade education