Panel Homes/Modular Homes/PreFab - Posted by Robert

Posted by Rich on March 21, 2006 at 18:02:34:

The lender was thinking manufactured homes. I personally have never seen a steel framed single family residence, though this is more common in commercial construction. I live in an area with a LOT of subdivisions going up and have only seen wood frames. Though the strip malls and hotels are almost all steel frame.

Panel Homes/Modular Homes/PreFab - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on March 21, 2006 at 17:18:22:

Hi,

Someone from this forum told me that steel framed homes would help reduce the cost of labor. I spoke to a lender and they said that prefab homes have a bad resale value. I was thinking the lender was thinking more towards manufactured homes? The pre steel framed buildings look just like a regular stick built house so would those still be consdiered prefab? Could some explain the difference?

Thanks…Robert

Re: Panel Homes/Modular Homes/PreFab - Posted by John

Posted by John on March 21, 2006 at 22:45:19:

I have built with steel studs as well as wood the labor costs were cheaper on the steel but only slightly. I only build with wood now. Saved about $300 by using steel not worth the wait time for materials. Especially if you come up short a few studs, you can’t just run to the lumber yard and get a couple.