Park won't approve buyers - Posted by DUKE(CA)

Posted by Lyal on July 25, 2003 at 07:25:19:

Duke,
Did you live in the home or buy it as an investment? Have you talked to the park about what they want so you can pre-screen potential buyers?
Honestly, I’ve never seen a situation where waving the state statutes in a PM’s face paid off. If you pi$$ them off, there are too many ways they can get you back (and they all hurt in the wallet). Much better to chat up the PM and build some rapport. That way you can “work together” to find a good tenant for the home.
All the best, Lyal

Park won’t approve buyers - Posted by DUKE(CA)

Posted by DUKE(CA) on July 24, 2003 at 12:53:24:

Is there anything I can do about a MHP that will not approve any buyers. I’ve read in the CA.Civil COde on Mobilehome Residency Law that someone cannot be denied if they can afford the monthly rent and will abide by the park rules.

Re: Park won’t approve buyers - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on August 03, 2003 at 11:16:01:

While I definitely would NOT continue to try to do business in any MHP that is unreasonbly rejecting my prospective buyers, if I were already in the MHP, so far as my owning a MH there, I would spend some time talking to the MHPO/Mgr to see what their problem really is. And seeing if I couldn’t somehow get along with them.

As you’ve already unearthed in the CCC’s, just as here in WA, the MHP cannot unreasonably reject a prospective purchaser, I wouldn’t want the hassle of having to go to war over the issue if I had a choice.

I’ve previously cited a WA Supreme Court decision (Etheridge vs. Huang (sp?) )where the court held that the MHP DID act unreasonably and had to pay a BIG penalty to the damaged seller. An easy matter to prove, since the MHP had,later, accepted other buyers with lesser credit scores than Etheridge’s rejected buyers.

A suggested strategy to put them to the test before going much further: send, or take, a letter to the MHP, asking them to give you in writing, their parameters for acceptance of a prospective buyer. If you take it, take along a friend as a witness, so he/she might later testify that he/she saw you personally deliver that letter.

This will put them on notice that they’d better be careful fooling with you & your prospects, and they’ll be more likely to be careful with you & your deals.

Make no threats, no accusations, just ask them for their guidelines. Trust me, they’ll be more cautious in the future when dealing with you.