parks and storage units - Posted by Mac

Posted by Steve-WA on August 16, 2003 at 22:58:58:

Hailing from Lake of the Ozarks area in the midwest, and now living on Puget Sound . . . gawd yes to boat storage!

parks and storage units - Posted by Mac

Posted by Mac on August 16, 2003 at 16:46:33:

Hi im buying a park and that has 35 sites in Wisconsin. The area is semi-resort with 2 large lakes nearby. The park comes with 3 extra acres of land and I was wondering if putting up storage units would be a good idea. Has anyone else tried this and if so is it a good money making project. Also, what is the cost/unit for a storage unit.
Any info would be appreciated.

Mac

Re: parks and storage units - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 17, 2003 at 12:53:29:

Mac-------------

I concur with the other posters: storage of boats and boats on trailers. Also, if your lot will be fented, you might take in cars and trucks.

Good Investing*************Ron Starr*****************

Re: parks and storage units - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on August 17, 2003 at 12:33:14:

We have lakes within 1 hour driving time. Someone started a RV and boat storage on an empty lot with no building and gets good rent just for using the space.
Philip

Re: parks and storage units - Posted by Don Dion

Posted by Don Dion on August 17, 2003 at 11:02:12:

Don’t forget to subdivide the land before you build so you dont have to sell the storage units if you sell the park and visa versa.

I just did that! - Posted by Briton

Posted by Briton on August 16, 2003 at 22:38:42:

I am building storage units next to my park. Today i went around a gave letters to all my tenants, and i got a 1/5 ratio of people per unit i rented. And that was just in my park. There is also alot of lakes around where i am. In about 2 weeks, i will be able to tell you how it goes getting boaters in there. I am goin to take flyers around the local lakes next weekend. Email me in 2 weeks and i will tell you how it went. Briton

Re: parks and storage units - Posted by Mr. C

Posted by Mr. C on August 16, 2003 at 20:57:26:

“The area is semi-resort with 2 large lakes nearby.”

Two words… boat storage.

Re: parks and storage units - Posted by Kurtis

Posted by Kurtis on August 16, 2003 at 19:33:19:

Storage units can be very profitable since there is no real monthly costs. Just the upfront costs of building. However, this greatly depends on your area because in many area storage units are being overbuilt. One of the large storage places in my area is running a 75% vacancy rate. They’ve put it on the market to sell been over six months and not an offer. Look around if there are other places that offer storage you need to really take a look. Might call each of the surrounding storage places and ask if they have ten units avail for a 1 year period. This will tell you rather there might be a market. IE they all are interested in renting to you - probably a glut of storage. None are interest - probably you’d do well.

Metal buildings are the way to go if you do build. Very cheap per sq ft.