Partition suit cost - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Don Dion on July 14, 2003 at 08:45:27:

If your trying to partition off a lot that is attached to your primary residence stop into your city/county building department. You might be suprised that all you have to do is fill out a form and have a drawing done for the lot being seperated then turn the paperwork in with a minor fee. I have done some for $25 in several counties in the chicago area.

Partition suit cost - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on July 13, 2003 at 22:52:50:

Has anyone completed a parition suit and can give me an idea of legal costs. I realize that there will be a lot of variance, but I’m totally in the dark about the number of hours an attorney would spend on this and what it takes to file such a suit.

Any ideas/experience appreciated. Sincerely, Kristine

Re: Partition suit cost - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on July 14, 2003 at 09:36:26:

K:

The cost of a Partition action will vary greatly based upon the opposition by any other part owner(s). If there is NO opposition the cost could run around $ 2000. to as much as $ 10K, if it is a messy deal. I have never personally seen one this messy, but have been assured by several Attys that I deal with that they have.

These costs are quoted based upon experience in a Judicial and Mortgage state, where the Partition action basically follows the same process of a typical foreclosure lawsuit. Your results in a non-judicial and Trust Deed state may be quite different, as the proceedure may vary drastically.

In the post from Don Dion below, he refers to costs to sub-divide a lot from an existing parcel, which of course is a completely different subject than a “Partition Action”.

Just the way that I view things…

JT-IN