Partnership/LLC with nonlawyer - Posted by rg

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on July 03, 2003 at 07:37:06:

I do legal work for partners/partnerships all of the time. I think that the DR’s are aimed at keeping laymen out of lawfirms, so I don’t lose any sleep over the issue at all. I’ve never heard of the situation you drscribe being an issue, surely Kettlewell can confirm if he’s still teaching Ethics.

John Hyre

Partnership/LLC with nonlawyer - Posted by rg

Posted by rg on July 02, 2003 at 23:17:17:

I will soon be an Ohio attorney, and am considering creating an LLC/partnership/corp. in which to do real estate investing. My prospective partner is an electrician who often finishes basements and renovates homes.

This setup would work well because I could handle the evictions, contracts, etc, and my partner could handle all upkeep and renovation.

However, the general rule is that a lawyer cannot be a partner with a nonlawyer if any part of the partnership activities consist of the practice of law. It seems to me that this would bar this endeavor since if I did have to evict a tenant I would be practicing law.

Is this a clear violation? Is there an established ruling on this? It seems that it would be silly for me to have to hire an attorney or only be able to work alone due to this rule.

Thanks for your help!