past due lot rent - Posted by Annie

Posted by Randall on August 20, 2003 at 21:07:13:

Ditto to George. Also just be up front with them. I always say " You don’t pay you don’t stay!" Seems harsh but it is the reality of the situation that many people won’t pay unless you demand it.

past due lot rent - Posted by Annie

Posted by Annie on August 20, 2003 at 12:02:51:

I have recently aquired a mobile home park and new to the business. We have several mobile home owners that are past due on lot rent as long as six months. We also have a mobile home dealer that is owner financing three mobile homes in the park. His tenents are also past due. We have no lease agreements as we have just taken over the park. Where should we start to get the park on track with respect to lot rent.
Thanks

Re: past due lot rent - Posted by Briton (IN)

Posted by Briton (IN) on August 21, 2003 at 15:05:26:

Remember the saying, “Win Win Situation” If the tenant is any good at all, they will work on a win win situation with you. So you can get things back to order, and they can stay, hense, “win win”. If they are not willing to do this, you do not want them on your land. Briton (IN)

Re: past due lot rent - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on August 20, 2003 at 14:04:02:

Annie, sure you got a great deal on park with so many delinquent accounts. I have been in your situation and it can be painful. What worked best for me was to one- on- one discussions with each tenant and have them fill out your apps. Have a very explicit set of Park Rules and ask these to be signed also. These should include very specific language about late payments. Explain that you can’t meet your obligations if they don’t make theirs(pay you). As part of your tenant file it is imperative that you find out lien holder on their unit. This should include phone # and address. If they refuse to sign your agreement, start proceedings to evict from park. Once you boot one (and their unit) the word spreads like wildfire and a lot of people readily sign. With these signed apps and park rules etc. you afre now dealing from a position of strength. Yuo must educate them to your rules. If they are 6 months delinquent set up a sructured payment sysyem with them to get all arrearages paid off in under one year and to start paying a portion with their rent each month. If they deviate, boot em. Tenants are great at making their probs your probs…do not allow this to happen. Be firm be fair br consistent. contact the mobile home dealer and tell him get caught up or get them out …now! You are dealing with a very concerned dealer…get him on the app as guarantor of all lot payments! you did not mention how many spaces you have, but i always plan on losing ten percent of tenants. This is a hard thing but you come out in a stronger position. Once you set up payment plan do not deviate even one penny from it. Something i did in my Texas park was every year do a drawing of a name of ALL tenants that paid on the first of each month for the year and the single winner at he drawing got Jan rent free (225). Over half the park had their name in every year! Good luck annie, you’ve done the hardest part…overcoming the fear to commit to a deal!!! www.nolo.com has excellent apps and agreements and you can e-mail me for my Park Rules.