Path to be commercial investor / developer - Posted by Ben

Posted by Ben on May 04, 2006 at 17:15:47:

Hi Ray,

My previous posting is seeking your advise as you are in this field long enough and see enough to know what works and what doesn’t. I really hope you can give me some advice and point me to the right direction. Thanks so much!
Ben

Path to be commercial investor / developer - Posted by Ben

Posted by Ben on May 03, 2006 at 14:31:31:

Hi Ray,

Thanks a lot for this forum, and i learn a lot from it everyday.

I am very interested in the real estate field, and particularly interested in the commercial side of it. (land development, conversion project etc.) So, last year, i decided to get my real estate license and to learn more about this field. I am now a residential real estate agent, and I am planning to switch to the commercial side later. I am taking the CCIM courses, and already passed the first course.

Since you are a very experienced investor / owners of commercial real estate, and you are a role model of what I would like to do, so I am seeking your advise as to what is the best path from where I am now to where I want to be (with my own company doing different kinds of commercial projects, developing and owner commercial real estate).

I am considering to take a MBA with real estate concentration, or a master degree in real estate development. But I am not sure whether they are the right thing to do for my goal. Or I should just switch to commercial real estate brokerage and networks with people, while getting my CCIM.

I am studying the ULI book ‘professional real estate development’ at this time.

Please kindly advise on what is the best path for my situation and for my goal. Also, any suggested reading that you can give me is much appreciated.

By the way, I am in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks so much!
Ben