Paying taxes on lot split - Posted by John Atworthy

Posted by John Atworthy on May 06, 2006 at 06:45:03:

KJ –

I can see the point. Inexpensive lesson learned perhaps.

The deal about going to their work is simple:

The house is on one side, the office is two doors down on the other side, and I am in the middle. I see them about every day coming or going.

JA

Paying taxes on lot split - Posted by John Atworthy

Posted by John Atworthy on May 05, 2006 at 21:56:14:

Hi:

Bought a small house that was part of a property with two houses on it. The title company could not get the auditor to do any assessment as that happens once a year. So title company had me (buyer) and seller sign a doc stating we would work out the taxes on our own and that no proartion was being made as no assessment was being done prior to closing.

I just realized I paid the taxes for the entire parcel. They paid none. I sent a polite and pleasant note to the owner. I think they have sold the other 1/2 of the property just recently.

The letter we signed at closing for my house was between me and the original owner and nobody else.

The previous owner is bullheaded. I am trying to get my thoughts together as I suspect this will come to a head and basically think the owner is going to try to make me eat it though they signed a doc saying they agreed to work it out.

Amount they would owe is about $450.

What can I do if this week when I dare step foot where they work and they blow me to pieces and tell me to fly a kite?

Can I put a lien on them / the house?

Can I take it to small claims?

Thank you –

JA

Re: Paying taxes on lot split - Posted by Elizabeth NJ

Posted by Elizabeth NJ on May 06, 2006 at 14:42:48:

In my opinion, you should consider partitioning this land so each of you gets a separate deed. It will simplify matters if you choose to sell your house in the future.

Re: Paying taxes on lot split - Posted by Joe Kaiser

Posted by Joe Kaiser on May 06, 2006 at 13:04:45:

What was the response to your polite letter, and how long ago was it
sent?

Joe

Re: Paying taxes on lot split - Posted by Killer Joe

Posted by Killer Joe on May 05, 2006 at 22:44:41:

John,

Not giving any legal advice here, but that piece of paper you referred to as “a doc stating we would work out the taxes on our own” may be worthless if its content is non-specific. It could very well be argued that your act of paying the taxes satisfied that document if that is what the otherside claims. You will find out for sure if you take them to small claims court.

I know $450 is not fun to lose, but it is nothing to get distracted about either. And DON’T go to their work. That tactic is conterproductive at best, and downright idiotic if things don’t go smooth. The judge won’t like hearing about it, either.

This is a great lesson about getting the numbers down correctly at the start. Your likelyhood of falling for this at the $10K level just took a nose dive. Consider it useful information you actually paid for. HTH

KJ