Penn Name for real estate..Legal or Not? - Posted by Nancy

Posted by Nancy on August 14, 2003 at 10:15:59:

This is very true and I always use one of my buildings the I have multiple units in for this. I add a mailbox and give it a number. And this is my home address. Since I own the building I have no problem using this address. Thanks again

Penn Name for real estate…Legal or Not? - Posted by Nancy

Posted by Nancy on August 11, 2003 at 22:09:38:

Writers have pen names, actors and actress often use other names all without legally changing them. I wanted to know if you can use a pen name in real estate? Why? Because a few years ago I had a man whom I showed a house to look up my name and somehow got my life history he did ever trick in the book but I caught him before he GOT me. Being a women and more times than not dealing with men (no offense men) if can me scary in vacant home etc and it would be good to know that when you left them they could not find you. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Nancy Ray

Re: Penn Name for real estate…Legal or Not? - Posted by A.

Posted by A. on August 13, 2003 at 13:13:06:

You probably know this, but also don’t give home phone number…use an 800 number.

RE d/b/a - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on August 12, 2003 at 11:33:51:

Theoretically, it wouldn’t be difficult. Just have the RE P&S agreement in name of Betty Buyer and/or Assigns; then, assign to your d/b/a…BUT, here’s where the problems begin.

The title/escrow co will want to see your legal/licensed authority to use that d/b/a and that means, at least in my state of WA, that you’ve applied for,paid the state fee to Sec. of State, and received a State sanctioned d/b/a authorizing you to d/b/a “La Buyere Investments”, or whatever name you’ve been “given” the right to use.

NONE of these state records are exempt from Fed Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), meaning anybody can go to Sec. of State office or website, and find out in minutes YOUR identity. And I agree this is not good.

Even if you didn’t have to register a d/b/a in your state, anybody could maybe find any RE’s tax info and then easily see the address of the tax payer…YOUR address.

This is just one of the reasons a sole proprietorship, including just d/b/a in your own name, or a licensed d/b/a is of little value.

Another big reason is it gives you NO liability or tax benefit. Somebody gets a Judgment agaist you, they can grab any property in name of that d/b/a.

Suggest you think very seriously about creating a real anonymous entity like LLC,corp, or RE holding trust, where you’re not the CEO or Trustee, then putting any RE in that name. A lawyer can help you keep that entity confidential and non-visible to snoops and stalkers.

Yours is sure not any unique problem.

So many RE Agents have been stalked, scared, hurt or killed that the states are now urging all RE licensees NOT to use their home addresses on their business cards or fliers.

Happy RE investing to you. But as you say, in some other name.

Re: RE d/b/a - Posted by Nancy

Posted by Nancy on August 12, 2003 at 16:52:20:

Thanks for the info. I am already incorporated (S Corp) however, I don’t like giving people I meet my real name this is where I find the problem. On All my deeds I list my address as at that property of a P.O. I also have set up a corporate at addres at a commercial place for all other usage now. But my personal life is still out there. I need to get a trust…not sure where to begin here, but thanks your input is greatly appreciated.

Re: RE d/b/a - Posted by A

Posted by A on August 13, 2003 at 13:21:41:

Anther thing, ask your postmaster, I’m not sure the details, but, I believe mine told me a few years ago (3) that if you use your PO for business then someone CAN (is entitled to) get your actual address. So please do verify this. email me for more.

Bronchik on Trusts - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on August 12, 2003 at 21:34:27:

Although I haven’t seen Bill Bronchik’s “for sale” info on trusts, it’s clear to me, from what I’ve read by him on trusts, that he does know his beans on the subject.

I think I’d recommend you communicate with him and ask him which of his books/courses/tapes might be a good starting point for you.

As I recall his trust materials are for sale on this site.

I have no financial ties to Bill or his materials.

Good luck.