pet odors - Posted by Art

Posted by just me on March 06, 2002 at 17:32:06:

Amonia will only hide the smell for a while.
To really “get rid” you should actually seal the underlayment.
I’ve used orange shellac.
Hope this helps

pet odors - Posted by Art

Posted by Art on March 06, 2002 at 15:26:30:

Help!
I’m removing the carpet and pad but how do I get the stink out of the underlayment.

Re: pet odors - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on March 06, 2002 at 18:20:19:

Art,
As someone with MANY pets, I’ve had to deal with this in my own residence, slightly, and with some properties I’ve purchased.
After the carpet is removed, clean the underlayment, as well as the base boards. When critters spray, it often is done near, or on the walls.
Maybe even remove and replace the baseboards.
Clean the area with amonia, as suggested, scubbing it well.
Let the area dry for a while, overnight, at the very least.
Then, paint over the area with Kilz™ oil based primer.
This will seal in any remaining odors.
Also, the smell of the Kilz will over ride the pet odor initially, it is wicked.
Be sure to do all of these with good venilation, like open windows etc.
I paint the floor as well as the baseboards and drywall near the bottom of the wall.
I also paint the entire room with fresh paint as well.
When done, get an electric plug in room freshener. (I think Glade makes them, called, “Plug ins”.)
I place these in every room of the house, and it gives the whole place a fresh scent.

HTH,
Jim FL

P.S. I also speed up the drying process a bit after the scrubbing of the area, by using a machine I bought some years ago, its called an “Alpine machine”, but is basically just an ionizer. This helps to get rid of mildew and mold as well.

This worked for me. - Posted by Mitchell

Posted by Mitchell on March 06, 2002 at 16:08:44:

Art:
I picked up and threw away the carpet. I poured straight lemon scented amonia on the floor and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then, I mopped it up. When cleaning up, open the windows, set up fans, anything to stop breathing the fumes.

It worked!!!

Mitchell

Re: This worked for me. - Posted by Art

Posted by Art on March 06, 2002 at 17:25:20:

Thanks Mitchell. Espically the safety info. I know how wicked amonia is.