Pex Crimp Tool (Small One) - Posted by rise2it

Posted by Berno on April 17, 2006 at 10:58:19:

I bought a combo 1/2", 3/4" tool from Menards. Not sure if it’s the same as you guys had from Lowes or not. It’s about the size of small bolt cutters and it had always worked great…no leaks to date! I think it was around $90.

Pex Crimp Tool (Small One) - Posted by rise2it

Posted by rise2it on April 17, 2006 at 04:41:06:

Someone posted on here a week or so ago about where to get a ‘small’ pex crimp tool.

I just ordered (and received) one I bought from :

(scroll to bottom of page)

Nice, well made, about the size of a pair of pliers or wire cutters (with the same kind of angled neck. Handles about 11 inches long only open maybe an inch, so it’ll work in tight places (under cabinets, etc.).

By the way, this one doesn’t come with a ‘go/no go’ gauge, but you can order them on the site also.

Made the mistake of buying my first from Lowes - it was useless - about the size of a LARGE pair of bolt cutters, and the arms opened almost straight out - needed at least 3 feet of space around it just to open the jaws.

Hope this helps some of you just starting to give Pex a try. Trust me - spend the few extra bucks on a ‘compact’ crimper.

Kevin
“I’ve been addicted to Pex for over a year. It may be the only ‘good’ habit I have…”

Re: Pex Crimp Tool (Small One) - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 17, 2006 at 07:43:46:

Kevin,

Thanks for the pex tool post. I had posted and mentioned the same frustrations with the Lowe’s crimper and ulimately I too had to buy both the 1/2" and 3/4" pex tool (smaller version) from the local plumbing supply store (where the contractors go).

It cannot be restated enough how helpful these tools are and that folks should NOT buy the lowe’s version.

The lowe’s version ran about $100 and the smaller versions ran me about $130 each at my local store. One may be able to find them cheaper but let’s just say I had a pressing (water leak) need for them immediately.

They did come with the “go-no go” guage but to be honest, I have never used them. If it leaks, its a “no go,” if not …GO! Maybe not the best method but that’s what I have used so far.

Tony