Pex crimper - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Tony Colella on March 10, 2006 at 07:01:35:

Hey Dean.

Pex can freeze but it is said that it won’t break like PVC or CPVC lines or poly (grey pipe) fittings.

This year has been mild so far. The only freeze up I had (at least that the tenant called about) was on old home that had a poorly insulated, brass cutoff (older home that I have).

Pex lines need to be insulated or heat taped just like PVC. The advantage is they don’t break when frozen as they allow for expansion. I have not had one break due to freezing yet. I have replaced a lot of broken PVC, CPVC and PolyB that broke after freezing.

Tony

ps. Nice to see Asheville folks here.

Pex crimper - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on March 08, 2006 at 19:54:36:

I have a big plumbing job coming up and want to upgrade to the crimp type PEX connectors. I have been hesitant on buying a crimper due to the physical size of the tool. (It looks like it could be a problem in tight spaces.) Tony made mention of a smaller model in a post recently. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the smaller tool or who carries them?

Glen (OH)

Re: Pex crimper - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on March 08, 2006 at 19:59:27:

Not sure of the brand name but it was purchased at a plumbing supply store (the kind where you sit on the stools in front of the large counter…kinda like a bar for toys).

Try calling around or perhaps an internet search. Sorry I can’t provide further.

Tony

Tony-Crimp or Compression Pex? - Posted by patsears

Posted by patsears on March 08, 2006 at 21:59:39:

Hi Tony,
What’s your opinion on the crimp-type pex fittings vs. the compression pex fittings?

Re: Tony-Crimp or Compression Pex? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on March 09, 2006 at 08:37:15:

I find that the weakest link in plumbing is often the fittings.

I have neve trusted compression fittings to last. Those fitting aren’t cheap either.

The crimp fittings are easy and quick to work with and can be purchased in bulk (though still not too cheap) but they simply do not leak or break.

Tony

Re - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on March 09, 2006 at 07:33:41:

I had purchased one of those huge crimpers from a home center, Menards, and I have had a great deal of success with it. I would definitly take a smaller tool though!

I use the PEX with the crimp-on rings when I redo the plumbing in anything I buy now. I used to do CPVC but I am kicking myself for not going to PEX sooner. I started off being really meticulous with my cuts and crimps, but after a dozen or so fittings I can whip through them now. I have yet to have a leak, so I guess I would fully back this product.

Re: Tony-Crimp or Compression Pex? - Posted by Dean

Posted by Dean on March 10, 2006 at 06:54:59:

Tony, I also live in the Asheville area. Have you seen any freeze ups with the pex? If so did the line freeze or a connector? Thanks