Plastic supply pipe question - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on August 09, 2007 at 17:49:58:

Yes. There is a shutoff in front of the meter. That has a leak too, but thats the parks problem and I informed them of that leak also.

Plastic supply pipe question - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on August 06, 2007 at 23:45:33:

On the house we just finished up, a potential buyer looked under the house and saw the shutoff valve was leaking. When I went to check it out, it turned out I’d have to replace the valve. This is the shutoff to the house itself.
I wound up having to cut the pipe between the shutoff and the outside (hose) faucet cause I couldn’t get any leverage.
Anyways, the hose that goes between the park water supply and this shutoff is plastic, with a brass fiting that the shutoff attaches to. The fitting has a ring of plastic around its base (barb?). I suppose its a shrink fit.

The problem is that the brass fitting is pretty rounded off. I’ve asked park maint. for help, but haven’t gotten any response at this writting (they had a major water main break last week). Can this hose have a new fitting attached, or is it strictly a factory job?

Otherwise, it seems my only options are to get a great big vise grip to get the fitting, and hope the shutoff isn’t corroded on, or to replace the hose (not something I want to do!).


i will almost guarantee… - Posted by Adam (IN)

Posted by Adam (IN) on August 07, 2007 at 19:35:40:

this is pex plumbing (i bet its grey right?)

you’ll need to go ahead and pick up a couple of basic tools that you will want to have around anyway if your doing the business and those are tubing cutters and crimpers…i have a set that does 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 plus crimp ring cutters, go-nogo-gauge, allen wrench etc. which is top of the line for 170 i think

you many not feel you need it but ill tell you it’s save me at least 10 times that to date and ive still got countless years of work with them

make the decision for youself but at the very least you’ll want to rent a set and all you’ll need to do is use the tubing cutters to cut out the old shut off, get a new PEX shut off (with barbs on each end to crimp to) 2 crimp rings and hook up the old lines to the new shut off barbs, crimp and you’ll be ready for a cold beer in 2 minutes literally

we all want to save money but do yourself a favor and spend about $250 to get tubing cutters, a good set of crimpers, and the basic pex fittings…i fought it for a little while until realizing the inevitable… JMHO

Re: Plastic supply pipe question - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on August 07, 2007 at 08:24:06:

Let me clarify, I don’t think its pex, cause where the crimp ring would be, there is actually a ring of plastic, not metal.
What little of the tube that is exposed also doesn’t seem to be opaque like pex tubing. Its more of a very cloudy transperant.
I suppose it could be pex with some other kind of ring, in which case I’d just cut the fitting off and put on a new one, but I’d rather be sure. Perhaps I should peel back some more of the insulation and look for printing.

Re: Plastic supply pipe question - Posted by Don-NY

Posted by Don-NY on August 07, 2007 at 06:58:26:

I have the crimper from I bought mine from It works great. It is a little clumsy and slower than the comercial ones, but it gets into tight spaces and it does 3/8", 1/2", + 3/4" in one tool for under 40 bucks!

Re: Plastic supply pipe question - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on August 07, 2007 at 06:17:26:

Good morning John,

while we are waiting for other folks to to advise you,

from my limited knowledge, I wonder is there a chance you are looking at a 3/4 inch plastic pex supply line?

Those often have shut-offs, valves etc connected with a crimp ring system. a crimp is a ring that goes over the plastic hose on the outside, with a brass barbed piece inside the hose. if so, you have to have the crimping tool and a new crimping ring to reassemble it.

there is a substitute fitting that may work that is called a “sharkbite”. these push into the line, and they also have brass shut off valves available. my concerns would be to find out if sharkbites come in the right size to use on a supply line, and if they are rated for the pressure of a supply line. They are starting to be carried in our Home Depot stores. They are pricey pieces, but much cheaper than the crimping tool if you are only doing a few jobs.

t least you can read up or call the company about sharkbites while waiting to see if the park maintenance fellow has suggests or can hire out for the job. or what other folks suggest for the job.

also, was the valve leaking only when the water was shut-off or while the water was on? if it was just a dribble while the water was shut-off, would that not still have been a functioning shut-off?, that is, it would keep the water out of the house while making a repair? I am told I am too quick to repair things, so I would appreciate understanding why you needed to cut cut the line etc.

stay dry!


Re: Plastic supply pipe question - Posted by Jim (Tex)

Posted by Jim (Tex) on August 07, 2007 at 06:12:55:


You may be looking at pex tubing, which is very easy to work with (although the crimpers are expensive). Check out this web site ( to see if this is the kind of tubing you are looking at, then go to Lowes or HD and get educated on the plastic pipe. You will like it once you get to know it.


Re: i will almost guarantee… - Posted by Ryan B (KS)

Posted by Ryan B (KS) on August 08, 2007 at 10:05:23:

You can get a crimper set that handles 3/8 up to 3/4 at home depot for $140, and a ratcheting tube cutter costs about $10. I found a crimper on ebay that you use with a vise grip for about $40, and it can handle all sizes. Works good too. Either way, WELL worth the money.

Re: Plastic supply pipe question - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on August 07, 2007 at 08:27:56:

Brenda, the shut-off was leaking a steady stream from the handle shaft. I couldn’t turn it off by tightening the cap that holds the shaft in. It did turn off water to the house, but the amount of water that leaked around the handle was just not acceptable, esp. in this northern clime and a water meter.

Is there a shut off at the water meter? nt - Posted by David Swett (CA-ME)

Posted by David Swett (CA-ME) on August 09, 2007 at 07:32:01:


Re: Plastic supply pipe question - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on August 09, 2007 at 05:59:44:

It sounds to me like the packing nut on the valve is leaking. This is easily fixed. Completely undo the packing nut, wrap a few turns of “graphite string” around the stem, reinstall the packing nut & you should be good to go. Make sure you wrap the graphite string in the same direction you tighten the packing nut.

Graphite string is available at the plumbing supply store or Lowe’s, comes in a bubble pack(small quantity) or in a roll in a plastic tub(large amount).