Please comment on statue passed in Florida - Posted by Rodney

Posted by Hank on August 28, 2003 at 15:38:01:

One need not such an active imagination to try to picture what victims of violent murders go through.

Living in a pre-owned house is a far cry from a house where peoples lives were ended in a horrible way.

I don’t see how you could avoid thinking about it.

Where you born on Vulcan ?

Please comment on statue passed in Florida - Posted by Rodney

Posted by Rodney on August 27, 2003 at 17:50:52:

Legislation That Passed During the 2003 Florida Legislative Session

· Establishes a five-year statute of limitations for violations of Chapter 475
· Makes it a felony for a person to perform real estate activities without a license

Reading on the Orlando Realtors Association site, I came across the prior reading. I would appreciate if fellow investors on the the board, especially fellow Florida investors, to comment on the these statues. I have’nt read the entire statue ,I am on quoting word for word what was written on that site.
The second one seems rather ridiculous to me because a person who sells his own home would be considered a felon. As I said I have not read the entire statue, I’m just quoting from the Orl site.

Re: Please comment on statue passed in Florida - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on August 28, 2003 at 10:01:13:

As Jim pointed out, Florida license law as well as most other states contain expemptions to needing a license. Among the expemption are people like principals (owners), personal representatives, attorneys in fact, etc. If you own your own property, then you don’t need a license to sell your own property.

Here is the website with the Florida exemptions:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0475/SEC011.HTM&Title=->2002->Ch0475->Section%20011

Re: Please comment on statue passed in Florida - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on August 27, 2003 at 23:21:17:

Rodney,
Well, since those of us who are investors enter into real estate transactions as a principal, then we are not subject to laws governing brokers.

For clarification, check the state laws and definitions for brokers.

Here, I’ll save you some time, take a look below, and then don’t worry about it.

475.01 Definitions.–

(1) As used in this part:

(a) “Broker” means a person who, for another, and for a compensation or valuable consideration directly or indirectly paid or promised, expressly or impliedly, or with an intent to collect or receive a compensation or valuable consideration therefor, appraises, auctions, sells, exchanges, buys, rents, or offers, attempts or agrees to appraise, auction, or negotiate the sale, exchange, purchase, or rental of business enterprises or business opportunities or any real property or any interest in or concerning the same, including mineral rights or leases, or who advertises or holds out to the public by any oral or printed solicitation or representation that she or he is engaged in the business of appraising, auctioning, buying, selling, exchanging, leasing, or renting business enterprises or business opportunities or real property of others or interests therein, including mineral rights, or who takes any part in the procuring of sellers, purchasers, lessors, or lessees of business enterprises or business opportunities or the real property of another, or leases, or interest therein, including mineral rights, or who directs or assists in the procuring of prospects or in the negotiation or closing of any transaction which does, or is calculated to, result in a sale, exchange, or leasing thereof, and who receives, expects, or is promised any compensation or valuable consideration, directly or indirectly therefor; and all persons who advertise rental property information or lists. A broker renders a professional service and is a professional within the meaning of s. 95.11(4)(a). Where the term “appraise” or “appraising” appears in the definition of the term “broker,” it specifically excludes those appraisal services which must be performed only by a state-licensed or state-certified appraiser, and those appraisal services which may be performed by a registered assistant appraiser as defined in part II. The term “broker” also includes any person who is a general partner, officer, or director of a partnership or corporation which acts as a broker. The term “broker” also includes any person or entity who undertakes to list or sell one or more timeshare periods per year in one or more timeshare plans on behalf of any number of persons, except as provided in ss. 475.011 and 721.20.

Enjoy,
Jim FL

Statute (nt) - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on August 27, 2003 at 19:10:05:

nt

Re: Please comment on statue passed in Florida - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on August 27, 2003 at 18:45:43:

I went to the site you mentioned and read what you read, and I see no reason to be concerned about an extra peril resulting from the passage of this law concerning RE investor(s) being characterized as an indiviual(s) practicing RE w/out a license. . But what do I know.

I did find this interesting though:

“The law also settles a long-disputed Florida real estate question: Does a murder, suicide or death on a property site require disclosure as a material fact? Under the Chapter 475 modernization bill, disclosure is not required.”

So some individual at some point in the past in a certain house a could have shot and then chopped up several people and then painted pentagrams on the walls w/their blood and that fact would not have to be disclosed?

I would want to know that kind of thing if I were to contemplate buying that house.

Re: Very Astute (nt) - Posted by Jim V

Posted by Jim V on August 27, 2003 at 19:18:13:

I don’t understand why - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 27, 2003 at 22:22:58:

Hank–(FL)-------------

I don’t understand why you would want to know. What difference does it make in your life?

The only reason I can fantom why somebody would want to know this is if they thought that the unfortunate actions were caused by something related to the house which is still outstanding.

Might you also like to know how many times people got estactic in the house? Or had super sex?

I just don’t get it.

Good Investing********Ron Starr****************

Here’s why - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on August 27, 2003 at 23:22:14:

If I was looking at this house for investment purposes the reasons are plain, but I think you are asking me why I wouldn’t want to live in such a place, no?

If I were married and had kids the answer is again obvious, for the scuttlebut would find them sometime down the line and the fecal matter would surely be hitting the cooling apparatus at that point.

But I don’t think you were asking about women and children.

How would I think and perhaps more importantly feel about living in a home where human beings were murdered in such a grizzly manner?

Hmmm… I suppose I would sometimes wonder on what walls the blood murals were, where the body parts were strewn about the house, how the victims felt when they knew there was no way out of their hideous deaths, how terror knows no end when…blah, blah, yada yada.

And that’s the thinking part of my brain.

The other part of my brain isn’t entirely sure that tortured souls don’t wander the world. Deep down there were I dance around a fire wearing animal skins shaking my spear at the sky right before the animal sacrafice, I am pretty much open to anything.

UFOs, the Bermuda Triangle, Atlantis, remote viewing, Elvis eating a BLT at a Jersey truckstop, Adam & Eve to the book of Revelations are all possible in that place.

So part of my reluctance is rational while another part is not.

Having said that, if the terms were sweet, my major concern throughout both hemispheres of my noodle would be finding a notary.

Re: Here’s why - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on August 28, 2003 at 20:02:02:

I don’t think that Elvis would be so obvious, but I’m right there with you on the rest of that paragraph.

Re: Here’s why - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 28, 2003 at 07:53:54:

Hank–(FL)----------------

Thanks for your response. I feel I have an active imagination. But somehow it is not as active as yours appears to be.

I hav lived in this house for 24 years. The prior owners were the original buyers, buying it in 1927, I believe. I rarely think about the former owners. The former owner was an electrician and there are reminders of his trade in odd little places, like having working light fixture in the crawl space. So, when I run into that or something similar, I remember him.

I even have his diningroom table and chairs and an armchair, and somehow I don’t think much about him.

I asked for all the contents of the house when I bought it, as he was in a nursing home. I got most of it except for a TV and a couple of other items. I got rid of some it soon, some over time.

I think it is interesting that you say: “Having said that, if the terms were sweet, my major concern throughout both hemispheres of my noodle would be finding a notary.” Really, that is my reaction too.

Once the physical presence of the house is changed, the house is not the same as it was. Of course, I don’t believe in any of those things you mention in the paragraph starting “UFOs, the Bermuda Triangle, … .”

Good InvestingRon Starr*****************

Very Funny. NXT - Posted by Rhunter(FL)

Posted by Rhunter(FL) on August 28, 2003 at 06:43:48:

LOL