Please help! Legrand boot camps vs. course material? - Posted by Jack Z.

Posted by Matthew Chan on March 29, 1999 at 22:26:27:

I, too, spent quite a bit at the convention and bought something from nearly every speaker. I even signed up for Terry Vaughn’s/Ed Garcia’s June seminar. I certainly believe in purchasing educational materials but after a certain point, it really comes down to getting out there looking at properties, meeting with people, and making offers.

As far as I am concerned, I have more than enough materials to prepare myself for most of the challenges I will initially encounter this year. My schedule is full now without having to squeeze in bootcamps which I feel is the point of diminishing returns.

As most of the experienced people have said, it really is time to get out there after you have the foundation knowledge. You can always add to it later after a few deals are under your belt.

I’m not done with all the materials yet but I’ve been eyeing different parts of town that I really want to hit and getting my forms & administrative stuff ready. It should be fun!

Please help! Legrand boot camps vs. course material? - Posted by Jack Z.

Posted by Jack Z. on March 29, 1999 at 16:56:17:

I hope somebody with the knowledge and experience would be kind enough to throw some pearls of wisdom my way.

As a buyer of the LeGrand material at the CREonline convention, I’ve been solicited to attend his boot camps at a “bargain” price. Now, please know that I believe in a certain cost of education theory-that if you don’t get educated you won’t believe how much it’ll cost you. I’ve spent a good chunk on it already, I’m studying hard, and I’m within days of really going at it full throttle. What I’m worried about is practical overkill. Since I have all three of Ron’s cash flow system courses, which I can rewind and play again, and reread, till I’m blue in the face and the knowledge is falling out of my ears, I’m curious about how much better the boot camps are than the courses alone. I guess the question is, then: Given that I already have the material, which I am studying diligently, would the boot camps really be worth it?

I’d really appreciate some thoughtful input on this. And after seeing the seemingly miles-long line to buy the LeGrand material in Dallas, I bet I’m not the only one with the question, so anyone who helps is helping others, too.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Jack Z.

Re: Legrand boot camps vs. course material? - Posted by Jim Beavens

Posted by Jim Beavens on March 29, 1999 at 18:04:44:

I too bought his materials at the convention, and over the weekend I received a letter implying that I was going to soon be offered a special price to his boot camp.

So far I have gone through his FSBO and Lease/Option modules, and my impression is that although these courses are very useful for the beginner and help in building confidence to call people and come up with different offers for different situations, he leaves out certain details to be covered at the boot camps.

For example, I remember in the Lease/Option module somebody asked a question about what the process is when your tenant/buyer is ready to exercise their option (or something like that). LeGrand said that’s a good question, and that he goes over it in his boot camp, or if they get to that situation then they could call the hotline. He went ahead and answered the question and talked about a bit, so it’s not like he was holding back anything, but I think that the boot camp delves into some of the minutia that is involved in closing and following through with deals.

The letter I got said that participants can bring their own leads, and the group would call sellers in their hometown from the boot camp and try to construct some deals right there. I could see how this might be useful to some folks.

As for me, I spent a lot of money at the convention, and it’s my belief that I obtained everything I need to get started. So I made a commitment that I wasn’t going to spend any more money on my education until I have used the education that I am currently receiving to do some deals.

Personally, I bought both LeGrand’s and Bronchick’s materials, and I think LeGrand’s stuff is great for analyzing all of the myriad situations that are going to be thrown at you to find out how to profit, but for many of the details on exactly how each method will work, I refer to Bronchick’s courses and forms. So far I’m only 2/3rds through Bronchick’s lease-option workshop, but he seems to go through a much more basic, step-by-step approach through the entire process.

I think I will eventually attend a boot camp (with proceeds from a deal, of course), but right now I think I have all I need to do quite a bit of damage in this business.