PLEASE HELP ME GET STARTED - Posted by Linda

Posted by Kim on July 25, 2001 at 17:25:08:

Look for your local real estate investors association or club. Some of the investors will help and some won’t. Also look around this site, there’s lots of information. Also go to the library and check out books on real estate investing.

PLEASE HELP ME GET STARTED - Posted by Linda

Posted by Linda on July 25, 2001 at 17:02:13:

I am very interested in getting started in real estate investing. I don’t know where to begin. I’m interested in buying pre-foreclosures, rentals, etc. I am very motivated and want to start asap. I don’t have up front money to get started but I read all the time that you don’t need any money. I live in a small city in PA. How do I find investors that would want to work with me. Somebody please help me out. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Re: PLEASE HELP ME GET STARTED - Posted by Doris - Va.

Posted by Doris - Va. on July 29, 2001 at 14:06:28:

Linda - You are not ready to jump into this yet!

Take some time to educate yourself first. Read all you can from this site and from books. Take the advice you have been given here and when you are ready you will know it.

Plenty of people here are ready to help you when you are ready to make your first deal.

Doris

Re: PLEASE HELP ME GET STARTED - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on July 26, 2001 at 14:27:51:

See about four messages lower.

http://216.46.238.11:80/wwwboard2/messages/21177.html

Where are you in PA? there’s a big regional investor group meeting tonight in Ft. Washington, right off the PA Turnpike in Montgomery County. from 6:30 to 9:30 or so PM. guests free first visit.

Re: PLEASE HELP ME GET STARTED - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on July 25, 2001 at 21:32:10:

Where do you live now? If you rent perhaps a good first step would be to acquire something that you own and that you want to live in.

Re: PLEASE HELP ME GET STARTED - Posted by DJ

Posted by DJ on July 25, 2001 at 18:03:49:

Linda,
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as buying real estate without any money. Somebody’s got to have the money, whether it’s you, an investor, family member, etc. You can do it, but it takes alot of studying, asking questions, meeting the right people and so on.
But whether you find someone else with the money or you obtain it yourself, you’ve still got personal investment no matter what they tell you. Depending on what approach you decide to take, number one, you’ve got to invest time, gas, phone bills, whether you choose to or not, advertising, business cards etc.
You have to remember, there alot of people who make their living from RE investing, and most of them don’t want you to know their secrets. They spend alot of time establishing contacts in the industry, such as lenders, RE Agents and others who act as bird dogs for properties, contractors who won’t rip them off, because 9 out of 10 houses that you can buy right, (by that I mean below appraised value), is gonna need some type of repair work or restorations done to make it resellable. Unless of course you decide to merely flip houses to another investor. There are so many ways you can go with investing. Most investors that are good and committed to it, don’t like greenhorns butting in on their territories, so you won’t find most seasoned investors very helpful, with the exception of the ones who frequent this site, but all they can do is merely offer advice! It’s a long road ahead, especially if you have no real estate experience at all! I don’t mean to discourage you, but I’ve been playing the game for a long time, and still learn something new everyday! Good luck, enjoy the ride, but watch your back! Simple Advice: Don’t jump into it and try to do a deal before you’re ready! Investing can be very lucrative and fun, but it can also break your heart as well as your bank account! DJ