Please HELP! - Posted by Gary - IN

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 13, 2003 at 23:01:53:

Please HELP! - Posted by Gary - IN

Posted by Gary - IN on October 13, 2003 at 12:55:17:

I bought a MH about a year ago, and I know now that I shouldn’t have done this, but I took the PM’s word that the title would be coming shortly as they had had to file for a new title due to abandonment. Needless to say, I still don’t have a title, and the people who are buying it from me are a bit anxious as am I.

The PM is no longer here, and the new PM told me to file for a title of abandonment. Is that all I have to do? I trusted the PM as we had a VERY good working relationship, and she had absolutely nothing to gain by lying to me as I was buying the home from someone else, not the park.

Anyone have any suggestions? I live in Indiana if that helps. I have searched the archives, but all I see are stories about truly abandoned homes, and mine is not.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary Baird
Kokomo, IN

Re: Please HELP! - Posted by Dan - GA

Posted by Dan - GA on October 13, 2003 at 13:34:14:

Gary:
Do you know how to contact the previous owners? Were they forclosed on or did they sell it to you? If you can contact them, they should be able to sign an affidavit that they sold the trailer to you and a new title will be issued by DMV or whoever controls in IN.

If you can’t find or contact them, or they are hostile because of a foreclosure, then the trailer is abandoned as far as the DMV is concerned. If it was foreclosed, the bank would have to sign a lien release indicating that the lien has been cleared. The abandonment process usually includes advertising in the legal section of the paper and then waiting a required amount of time for someone to respond. After that you bring in all the documentation and DMV issues a new title in your name. Check with your DMV to find out the exact procedure and requirements.
Dan

And next time… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 13, 2003 at 15:20:06:

…don’t unnecessarily give control over your success to someone who is less successful.

If its important, and you want it done right, for goodness sake, Dan, do it yourself.

Regards, doc