Please, Please, Please Help! - Posted by Ernestine

Posted by Nate(DC) on February 28, 2002 at 12:08:33:

I agree; if worst comes to worst you may have to file a quiet title lawsuit to get the ex off the title…

NT

Please, Please, Please Help! - Posted by Ernestine

Posted by Ernestine on February 28, 2002 at 07:03:11:

Hi, hope someone can help me with this. My husband and I has been divorced over a year now. In the the divorce I got the house, but the house wasn’t paid for, and has a balloon that is due. I went out and got refinanced. Here’s the problem, my ex name is still on the title and the title company says they cant pay off the mortgage with his name on the title unless he is here to sign to remove himself. I know he will not cooperate because the title company has tried to contact him without any response. My divorce papers says that he clearly give up his ownership to the house. The courthouse (Deed department) says thats all I need is the divorce papers stating that, but the title company says no. I need to know is there any way to get him off with out his participation and if not what can the title company do for now. Thanks any help is appreciated.

Re: Please, Please, Please Help! - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on February 28, 2002 at 11:25:21:

Go to the same attorney that represented you for your divorce and tell him/her the circumstances and how this is keeping you from ownership and use of the house.

I would not go to another attorney because this attorney is already familiar with the case and the problems you are having are a continuing part of the divorce.

Re: Please, Please, Please Help! - Posted by Todd (ID)

Posted by Todd (ID) on February 28, 2002 at 09:56:39:

Ernestine,
I had a similar situation with a seller before and it took a threatening letter from her attorney to the ex-hubby. Her attorney threatened to sue the ex for slander of title and contempt of court if he didn’t sign a quit claim deed. He signed.

HTH
Todd

Re: Please, Please, Please Help! - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on February 28, 2002 at 07:22:45:

Either ask your own lawyer or post the same question on the Legal Forum here on this site. The two attorneys will give you some good ideas.