plumbing help-kind of emergency - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by Tony Colella on July 17, 2007 at 18:59:22:

If it were one of my rentals, I would likely replace that kitchen line with pex now (nice warm weather vs freezing cold when they usually want to go bad).

If its a lonnie deal, then its good to go!

Tony

plumbing help-kind of emergency - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on July 15, 2007 at 17:09:18:

Here’s the deal. We had to remodel the kitchen area, which included a “new” sink. I got a used sink and faucet like new off the local freecycle list.
Anyway, after installing it, it worked fine for about a minute, then the water slowed down to a drip. The hose nozzle continued to work, but the faucet would only drip. I thought maybe the valve stems were faulty but couldn’t find replacements, so I bought inexpensive replacement faucet, but the same thing happened, a good pressure for a minute or so, then dripping. The hose though is only coming out in a single stream (as in out of one hole). I cannot figure out what is going on. waiting a while for the pressure to “Build up” doesn’t work. The bath fauces & tub don’t have this problem. the supply lines for kitchen take a circular route, about 20-30 feet I woud geuss.

The emergency part is I have a possibe buyer who is intrested in the home, and would like to take possession ASAP after approval and paperwork, but lets say aug. 1st. I am going on a trip soon, so won’t have much time to work on this before then.

Any ideas of whats causing this?

Re: plumbing help-kind of emergency - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on July 15, 2007 at 18:12:17:

Unscrew the screen on the end of the faucet. Clean out the plastic and screen there. Replace. Then turn the tub on first before you turn water on again.

This is very common in the parks we own that have wells but it can happen with public water as well. When the water is first turned on, any junk, small grit, mud etc rushes to the faucet that is turned on. It only takes a small amount of mud or grit to stop the faucet.

Buy turning on the tub first, the mud etc. goes through without a filter and through a wider outlet.

Tony

Re: plumbing help-kind of emergency - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on July 17, 2007 at 13:36:36:

Tony,
you were right! Turned out to be a LOT of rust particles clogging the strainer and sprayer. Soaking both in CLR now, and running the faucet without the strainer frequently. This house has been sitting a LONG time without water in the pipes, so it has built up, especially in the cold line for some unknown reason.

John

Re: plumbing help-kind of emergency - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on July 17, 2007 at 17:56:26:

Shower heads etc. will do the same thing. I learned the hard way so you don’t have to. Don’t replumb the entire house like I did!

That one had literally every fixture clogged including the washing machine.

My hard lesson learned is yours to keep. Just cost you one extra faucet. You got off easy!!!

Tony

Check the toilets next - Posted by Mr. H (IN)

Posted by Mr. H (IN) on July 17, 2007 at 17:45:45:

I have found a huge amount of particles and rust in the flush valves and water lines of the toilets. Turn the water off, pop the top of the valve off, hold a cup (upside down) above the valve and turn the water on. If your toilets are filling slow, this will clear the line.

Re: plumbing help-kind of emergency - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on July 17, 2007 at 18:50:09:

I did have one bathroom sink faucet (twin sink) that I would up replacing…either it was genuinely bad because the screen was removed, or the valves were clogged. The other one worked fine.
Generally though, I didn’t have this problem with the bathroom plumbing, they were closest to the incoming cold water and water heater, and most of the lines connecting to the bath are copper/pex.

OTOH, the kitchen faucets traveled via steel pipe under the tub into the washer/dryer closet, turned 90 degrees under the house to the kitchen, back up above the floor, then another 90 degrees back to the wall where the sink was located, then copper lines to the faucet, so the kitchen water lines had way more opportunity to rust up.