Possible rental, but neighbors!! oh my......... - Posted by Tim

Posted by Sue on February 05, 2002 at 18:35:48:

Could be that if the renters are as bad as you say, the neighbor lady has had problems with them blocking her in or other things and she may just be totally p*ssed off at them and associate you with them since you were going in the house.

If you are interested in this house, then go and speak to her and alleviate her concerns and explain you would be putting in quality tenants, etc… She may be angry that the renters are bringing down her property value if they are really messy or noisy. Give her a chance to vent. She may be the nicest person in the world who is fed up or she could be a few cards short of a deck.

Possible rental, but neighbors!! oh my… - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on February 05, 2002 at 18:22:19:

Looking at a SFH in a okay neighborhood that overall (Oakwood neighborhood) is appreciating. Alot of rentals here and small homes (i.e 2 bdrm). This is a 3 bedroom that needs some work, inside and out. There are tenants living there, however, more people in the house than owner originally stated on lease. Tenants have been late a few times with rent, and the place is a disaster zone! except for the kitchen and eating area. the dining room has been converted into a makeshift bedroom (i.e mattress on floor with blankets). this house has potential but there is one more thing. the neighbors. the realtor who showed me the house parked his car in front of this house, directly across the street from another driveway but in no way blocking either the driveway or street, just your normal way of parking on the side of the street. This gargantuan lady comes out of her house and starts yelling who’s car is parked across the street from her driveway and to move it and no longer park there because she might accidentally hit it when backing out! We both looked at her with astonishment, and trust me I felt like saying something but left it at that and continued to inspect the roof. My concern is that I will rehab this house in hopes of getting top rent and the people will see who their neighbors are and run away. Will it be harder to find good tenants given the situation mentioned above. there are other streets in this neighborhood that have decent homes and decent lawns etc. But this particular street turned me off. Any past experiences similar to this? should I keep looking for a rental on a different street or not let the neighbors come into play.? Help please, the owner wants out. Realtor says he wants to invest somewhere else.

Re: Possible rental, but neighbors!! - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on February 06, 2002 at 10:32:52:

In addition, ask her or her landlord if they are feed up. The owner might want to sell.