possible tax foreclosure in Texas - Posted by craig

Posted by Bill H on July 20, 2003 at 20:24:02:

Craig:

Sounds to me like the county has contracted with a firm to collect taxes and they are telling you that you are delinquent and must pay or else the county will sell the property at tax sale auction.

Taxes are the most senior lien against your property. They are the way the governmental agencies get the funds to operate.

If you have a mortgage against the property probably what will happen is that your lender will step in and pay the taxes and initiate their own foreclosure proceeding. Your deed of trust most likely contains a clause saying something like “will pay at least ten days before delinquency all taxes…etc.”

You might go to your tax collectors office and offer to pay in installments. Some counties will allow this and others will not. It is worth a try. Other than that if you fail to pay they will continue their actions to collect. And; sale at a tax auction is possible. Then in Texas you have either 6 months or 24 months depending on what type of property and if you have filed a homestead exemption. You will pay 25 percent interest for the first term and then 50 percent for the next.

Again I suggest you get the $$$ somewhere and pay the taxes and avoid lots of hassle, frustration, stress, etc.

Good Luck,

Bill H

possible tax foreclosure in Texas - Posted by craig

Posted by craig on July 20, 2003 at 16:36:08:

What options are available to stop foreclosure of homeowner property in texas (dallas county)on past due property taxes. No actual legal action yet, just the letters from law group requesting lump sum payments or else! No payment options are available other than one paid in full amount according to contact at law office. what options do I have?

Re: possible tax foreclosure in Texas - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on July 20, 2003 at 16:50:36:

Never heard of a “LawGroup” forclosing on property taxes. Normally property taxes are the domain of the county/ciity in which you reside.

Give us some more info.

======>bill

Re: possible tax foreclosure in Texas - Posted by craig

Posted by craig on July 20, 2003 at 17:06:29:

Delinquent tax collections here are handled by the county through a Firm within the county. Speaking with them directly resulted in no info for me as they “can’t give legal advice to both parties” according to the young lady I spoke with. I am a newbie at this so if more info is needed let me know I will do my best to get it. Thanks.