Post card printers - Posted by Jerrelle

Posted by Kathy on March 30, 1999 at 22:57:06:

Funny question for this board! I have a HP Deskjet 890C (around $4-450.00)that will print anything - envelopes included. Usually for post cards you print 4 to a page, or 2, I suppose, depending on size. The program “Creat-a-card” automatically formats for such things, and asks which way your printer feeds for envelopes (flap side up, right side of print feeder, etc., which is easy (graphic on tray) to figure out. It’s a cinch!

Post card printers - Posted by Jerrelle

Posted by Jerrelle on March 30, 1999 at 22:30:18:

I am shopping for a printer that will print multiple post cards as well as envelopes. Any recommendations?

Re: Post card printers - Posted by Dan (NC)

Posted by Dan (NC) on March 31, 1999 at 07:21:18:

Kinko’s. Work up your master with 4 cards on an 8.5X11 sheet. Kinko’s will print it on card stock and cut it for about 3 cents per card. Do several thousand at a time. It doesn’t pay to waste your time on printing cards at home. For envelopes (or cards) use the sheets of labels from Avery (big selection of sizes) and your word processor with mail merge. About 1 cent per label and you don’t drive yourself crazy by feeding envelopes through your printer. With the stamp and address label, a postcard will cost 24 cents to get in someone’s hand. Cheap advertising if you target your list.

Re: Post card printers - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on March 30, 1999 at 23:00:25:

How are you planning on doing the postcards? That may affect your answer. There are two ways: you can buy them from the post office, or you can create your own by buying card stock from a printer and printing two or three on one 8X11 sheet and then take them to a printshop or Kinko’s and have them cut. (Or a third way is to buy the fold-out prepackaged post cards, but this is the most expensive of the solutions.)

When shopping for printers, seek one that has a straight-through paper path. Most of the Hewlett Packard laser printers have a straight-through path, except one of the lower-end ones, I believe.

I am not specifically endorsing HP, as other manufacturers probably offer the same thing, but I went through the same search prior to buying my HP 5MP. Whichever model you choose, make sure it has that straight through paper path. Sometimes the path is not obviously straight, but the printer will allow you to make an adjustment or release a lever to make it straight when required, which should be sufficient.

Hope this helps in your search.

raelynn