Potential deal question - Posted by Mark

Posted by GerryH VA on March 03, 2002 at 22:26:50:

Mark

A few things to consider:

1. If you move it and obtain a building, electrical and plumbing permit to set it up, does it have to be brought up to current standards? This could be cost prohibitive. Check plumbing (is copper still good?), electrical (50A,100A,200A service? and DEFINETLY no aluminum wiring)and check heat/AC.
  2. Do your research first on what if any MHPs accept a home this old. Please don’t move it twice. I did that and it doesn’t make sense to do it.
  3. You will most likely have to buy/install steps and skirting so include in cost of moving.

Moving in my neck of the woods (VA) will run anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the distance.

My free opinion (you get what you pay for) is that if this is your first or second deal, skip it and look for one that does not have to be moved. It is simpler and won’t scare you away.

GerryH

Potential deal question - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on March 03, 2002 at 19:32:12:

Question for you on a potential deal. I have a owner that wants to give me a 14x70 1974 Estate mobile home. He claims that it?s in good condition but hasn?t been hooked up for at least 2 years and needs to be moved. Here?s the questions:

Is this mobile home worth moving? What would be the average cost to move a MH about 40 miles?
Not being hooked up for so long are there potential problems I should be looking for?
What does it usually cost to get one in a park and set up? Permits, etc. . .
Would a park want a MH this age?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Potential deal question - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on March 04, 2002 at 12:14:12:

Hi Mark,

You may want to do a search in the archives for Karl’s post on moving mobile homes. He wrote a great article a while back and it will answer all of these questions and even those you haven’t even thought to ask about moving.

Jacque