power of attorney - Posted by tracyt

Posted by richk (OR) on March 03, 2000 at 23:28:51:

David, you are of course very correct about the different types. Tracy, beyond (before) you have your attorney look at it, make sure you have too in order to ensure the daughter has the right kind. The ones I’ve seen aren’t that complex and are usually very explicit in what they can and can’t do. Now I have heard of some attorneys that get very “loosy-goosy” with broad general POA’s simply because they are so board…

Richard

power of attorney - Posted by tracyt

Posted by tracyt on March 03, 2000 at 18:52:17:

Would any legal experts help me with this? I am trying to buy a sfh from someone who represents herself as poa of an elderly owner. She is the owners daughter. Can she sign off for the owner on a sales contract? The state is NC. I am meeting to get this done sat and need to know!! Many thanks for any information. Tracy

Re: power of attorney - Posted by richk (OR)

Posted by richk (OR) on March 03, 2000 at 19:15:18:

When I ran into this situation, the best answer I got was talk to the title company or attorney that will be doing the closing and see what they will require/prefer. Technically, a POA will work, but in fact it could cloud the title if the POA is not recorded.

I’m not a legal expert and I don’t play one on TV; just have a little experience with this (I have a seller who is in jail…)

Richard

Re: power of attorney - Posted by tracyt

Posted by tracyt on March 03, 2000 at 22:01:54:

Thanks David and rich. I think I will get the poa to sign tomorrow and find out Mon what my atty. thinks. T his is a situation where I already have a potential buyer but have only a verbal agreement from this persons poa. Thanks. Tracy

Re: power of attorney - Posted by David

Posted by David on March 03, 2000 at 19:40:54:

There are different types of POAs, limited, general, etc. The document must be produced, it must be signed and notarized. Recording is optional. An attorney or title company can help they see them everyday.
David