Prepaid legal - Posted by Marcia

Posted by Mike Daly (Atlanta) on July 13, 2002 at 08:14:13:

I use prepaidlegal.com. They should be sufficient for this type of dispute.

Prepaid legal - Posted by Marcia

Posted by Marcia on July 11, 2002 at 02:47:43:

Has anyone had positive experience with prepaidlegal.com or prepaidlegalservice.com with regard to creative real estate transactions and/or landlord tenant? These are two different services - one offers a giant law firm in an area that handles all of the prepaid client and the other has a provider network of lawyer. Robert Shemin (the Millionaire Landlord) and the Robert Cain of rentalprops.com both recommend the prepaid service but I no one in my reia seems to have used on. Which of the to is best?

You Get What You Pay For - Posted by Long Beach Ed

Posted by Long Beach Ed on July 12, 2002 at 16:57:56:

Marcia, Marcia!

When you need a lawyer, it’s usually pretty important business. If your real estate investing is real serious business to you, legal advice is not a place to cut corners. If you owned a restaurant, would you even think of using some $20/month legal service???

You get what you pay for. Establish a relationship with a sharp, effective and responsive real estate attorney, and the fees you pay will more than pay you dividends. Look for a good guy you can talk with, not a crook.

A reasonable and smart attorney will realize the importance and value of your relationship and bill a reasonable charge for his service. If the guy wants $300 to write a simple letter, or is nasty, unreachable or aloof, keep looking.

A good attorney will be a lifelong friend and partner in your journey.

Best regards
Long Beach Ed

Re: Prepaid legal - Posted by Mike Daly (Atlanta)

Posted by Mike Daly (Atlanta) on July 12, 2002 at 08:35:32:

I’ve used prepaid legal and they’re good for more basic RE issues, but I’ve found if you’re asking questions that are less common they are somewhat lacking. Right now I use them because they’re cheap and I’m not doing anything that takes a huge amount of legal expertise.

If you’re short on cash they’re better than nothing, but I’d say it’s preferable to have a good attorney that really understands creative RE. Perhaps use prepaid for basic things like contract review, and use an attorney for the more complicated issues.

Re: Prepaid legal - Posted by mbairdburris

Posted by mbairdburris on July 12, 2002 at 16:14:29:

I’d like to use them regarding a former tenant who has acknowledged damages but is miffed about the cost of repairs from their security. Do you think prepaid can handle that type of matter. I’ll retain an atty on creative real estate transactions but hate to do so on responding to this relatively standard dispute. Do you have prepaidlegal.com or prepaidlegalservices.com – one assigns members to one big law firm and the other gives a list of provider attys and have you been satisfied with the service you’ve received?