prioritize, and learn from your mistakes (please read) - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 20, 2000 at 14:02:17:

Your heart is in the RIGHT spot, Todd!

Priorities!!

Susan

prioritize, and learn from your mistakes (please read) - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on March 20, 2000 at 12:10:58:

As I read the wonderful posts here yesterday, My 18th month old son was annoying me the whole time. throwing things, fussing, crying loudly, yelling. I got upset and frustrated, I am trying to concentrate!(I tell myself), I have been neglecting my goal of becoming a full timer, and am trying to push myself through the hoops and barriers.I tell him “no”!and “stop it”! and with out a second thought my nose is back in the computer reading again. I am thinking ahead for my future, OUR future. And BOOM a juice cup hits the keyboard and my computer go’s down. now I am mad…I yell in anger and just when I was about to put him in the corner he says “YA YA dada” (love you dady) SMACK it hits me. maybe my personal goals are not the only things being neglected these days, my son wants…no…needs a playmate…and a father he doesn’t care about money or mortgages or FSBO, just dypers, toys, baba’s(bottles)and the love from all around him.
thats it for today…need to go play with my son
but thinks about what I said
Todd Williamson(CO)

As a grandmother raising a toddler … - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on March 22, 2000 at 07:33:02:

I can relate. We have custody of one the age of yours.

This obviously was not something we planned. In fact, we had told ourselves we were way past this kind of thing.

But when it became clear that this was the thing to do, we stepped in and took custody.

did it change our lives? You bet! I run two businesses (when they don’t run me), and Dennis runs around taking care of the properties, and us.

My objective now? Cut down my work hours so that Darren spends only a few hours each day away from us. There is nothing more precious than this relationship with him and the opportunity = gift - we have been given to have an impact on his life.

You CAN have it all.
love that baby !
Carol

Re: prioritize, and learn from your mistakes (please read) - Posted by Darren

Posted by Darren on March 21, 2000 at 02:31:38:

Bravo!!! We never realize how much little time we have until something like that happens. I have three boys myself(3yr & twin 9 month old). I to forget what it takes to be a dad & a husband sometimes. I thank GOD for my wife who doesn’t work, without her I wouldn’t be here now, or know of this place. Keep loving them and hope they turn out better then we taught them.

Darren

Amen - Posted by Nate Tyler

Posted by Nate Tyler on March 21, 2000 at 24:52:02:

Steve has the same picture frame that I do.

It says it all.

Sometimes we get so busy preparing for a better tomorrow, that we neglect to enjoy today.

I don’t want to be lying on my death bed before I figure out what life was really all about.

Nice post.

Re: prioritize, and learn from your mistakes (please read) - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on March 20, 2000 at 23:03:45:

Love the Post.

My daughter (2 1/2, named Saxon) is what makes the world go around for me, and keeps my priorities in Line.

A little over 6 months ago or so I had been working on some deals getting some houses sold and hadnt really been home or paying attention to her. When I’d come home late and tired, I’d go straight to the computer.

The third nite of coming in late she sat on the couch watching a video and then Out of the blue said “Daddy, come here!.. Sit Down”,… and patted the couch beside her.

She got my attention and with that simple jesture that night she really put everything in Perspective for me.

David Alexander

Wonderful post! prioritize, and learn from your mistakes - Posted by milNC

Posted by milNC on March 20, 2000 at 20:20:35:

Great post! I’m sure by now you are thinking, your child was not “annoying you”
but rather “attempting to communicate with you”.
Or, just doing his thing. (You got off easy, THIS time): If your computer mouse
was a funnel , your child would P** in it,
if the VCR videotape slot looks like it can hold a grilled cheese sandwhich…it will.
All fluids will land on the most expensive thing
in the house. It’s a law of nature.
Fluids run downill, darnit!
Get spare keyboard at auction?
Got a tarp?
Does your pet’s food match the color of your carpet?
Well, it should!
Turn keyboard upside down when not in use?
Ask www.nowonder.com what to do ( free help
offered by geeks with hearts).

It strikes me that “work” today, doesn’t “look” like
work. It looks like sitting and staring, albeit at
a money-making computer screen. It’s hard to make the
distinction between that and being a couch potato, in the eyes of a simple visual observer. A child wouldn’t
know the difference. Wouldn’t care, either.

Staring at the screen, it doesn’t make you look busy, but, sawing wood,
painting a house, hammering nails, teaching the dog
to fetch, or sit, stuff like that does. How different does it “look” to be playing video games as opposed to
trading stocks or bidding at auctions? No difference.

And it would be hard to share, what do you do…duelng
keyboards? It’s isolating, on some level, and
reclusive, to be too much on the computer.

By age 11, he’ll have his own website and be a millionaire, but he will never be able to replace YOU.
But, thankfully, you already know that.

Ann

Re: prioritize, and learn from your mistakes (please read) - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on March 20, 2000 at 18:18:05:

Todd,
One other thing that I would like to add. I just bought a picture frame a couple of weeks back plus two copies of a another picture that I have hanging up in my office.

The picture say the following:

PRIORITIES
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove… But the world may be different because I was inportant in the life of a child.

I have my daughters pictures in that frame and I read it everyday. That is all the motivation that I need.

Steve

Re: prioritize, and learn from your mistakes (please read) - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on March 20, 2000 at 18:14:01:

Todd,
Great post. I just happened to be listening to Billy Ray Cyrus “Busy Man”, If you don’t know of the song you should get a hold of it. This song is one that helped me to get my priorities straight. My family is absolutely positively number one. Many of us say that but it is not always the case. It never was for me, my life has changed drastically since my priorities changed. Thanks for the post.

Steve