Privacy issue for boxholders of private mail boxes - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Rosie(CA) on April 30, 1999 at 18:52:45:

And stalkers.

Privacy issue for boxholders of private mail boxes - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on April 29, 1999 at 19:01:53:

There is a new Federal law on the books, taking effect soon. The folks who will be affected by this are the people who use commercial mail receiving agencies.

If you have a separate address such as Mail Boxes Etc. (or other commercial receiving agencies) for your business dealings, your letterheads, etc. must be modified to reflect a “PMB” number (PMB= PRIVATE MAIL BOX). And the mail receiving agencies will now require two forms of identification, one of them must be a “picture” I.D. These two forms of I.D. must reflect your home address, and they must match the address you give on the application. You can also use utility bills, phone bills, etc., as long as the home address is listed. The application may be subject to verification procedures by the Postal Service to confirm that the applicant has stated correctly, the address listed.

If any mail is not addressed in the following format, it may not be delivered after October 26, 1999 and returned to the sender.

your name/business name
PMB ________
street name and number (of mail receiving agency)
city, state zip + 4

Apparently, Mail Boxes Etc. has been battling this new law for a while now, but have lost.

Of course, if your business depends on a mail receiving agency, you wouldn’t want the world to know, necessarily, that this business is run out of a “private mail box” so your business image could be damaged by this new requirement.

My personal feeling is that this is a “privacy issue” and I’ll be going to the American Civil Liberties Union next week to see if they are interested in doing battle with the powers that be.

I have done a little checking and may have found an alternative. My investigation is not yet complete, but if anyone has any interest in this, I would recommend checking out www.omnioffices.com. They seem to have facilities just about everywhere.

Good luck all,

Brad

Actual law found on internet - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on May 01, 1999 at 15:11:17:

Hi Everybody,

Thanks to Mark (KCMO) we now have an internet address where this “law” (or “regulation”) can be seen in its entirety.

Go to: http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html

Click on “Final Rules and Regulations”

Issue date - select “ON” - then type in 03/25/99

Search terms = CMRA

Click “SUBMIT”

It will search through the database and give you a link to click on for the complete text.

Let me warn you in advance, this is VERY long. I have imported this text into my word processor and formatted it into 11 “solid” pages. This is the document I will give to the ACLU next week.

Many thanks to Mark (KCMO) for his skills and determination in locating this document.

Brad

It isn’t a law, it’s a rule … - Posted by HankM

Posted by HankM on May 01, 1999 at 13:47:05:

After reading the press release, it’s clear that this is a postal rule established by the post office, not a law created by a legislative act. It also says that the details are published in the Federal Register “today” and it’s dated 3/25/99, so if you want the text , that’s where to look.

As a “rule”, I don’t know what we can do about it; it’s simply a condition of doing business with USPS; just as they don’t want hazardous materials and body fluids in the mail, now they want a specific format on the address. I don’t like it, but I believe we’ll have to live with it.

Hank

Another solution… - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on May 01, 1999 at 08:40:30:

We bought a small property zoned Residential / Professional, downtown in our small town, and keep an office there … as well as renting out the rest.

This may not be possible for everyone, but I SURE LIKE having a place to meet people to sign contracts, etc, other than on a park bench, or in their home or mine.

I invite our local bankers, brokers, etc to “stop by” and see me there when we have biz to conduct… best of all, it’s only 3 minutes from my home.

Definitely worth it.

Just another 02 cts
Carol

Another solution… - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on May 01, 1999 at 08:40:30:

We bought a small property zoned Residential / Professional, downtown in our small town, and keep an office there … as well as renting out the rest.

This may not be possible for everyone, but I SURE LIKE having a place to meet people to sign contracts, etc, other than on a park bench, or in their home or mine.

I invite our local bankers, brokers, etc to “stop by” and see me there when we have biz to conduct… best of all, it’s only 3 minutes from my home.

Definitely worth it.

Just another 02 cts
Carol

To My Customers; A word about my New address - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on April 30, 1999 at 23:21:03:

Greetings;

You will notice that my New address now contains “PMB”.

America is going through many changes.

News reports of scams and rip off artist appear nearly daily.

Frankly; I find it quite upsetting.

In cooperation with the U.S. Postal service, I am proudly showing the designation PMB.

PMB represents a “Private Mail Box”, This designation indicates that My postal address is NOT in the local post office nor am I located in a high priced, high rise office building.

My address is located in a private mail facility.

When you see the “PMB” designation you can feel confident that those merchants and services are doing thier part to combat fraud and abuse by properly by using “PMB”.

We think you will agree it is the right thing to do.

Please feel free to contact us if you would like additonal information about what is being done to combat mail fraud, and scams.

Thank you

Signed ====

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought that this might give some ideas of how to turn this into a benefit!

Hope this helps

Mark R in KCMO

To My Customers; A word about my New address - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on April 30, 1999 at 23:21:03:

Greetings;

You will notice that my New address now contains “PMB”.

America is going through many changes.

News reports of scams and rip off artist appear nearly daily.

Frankly; I find it quite upsetting.

In cooperation with the U.S. Postal service, I am proudly showing the designation PMB.

PMB represents a “Private Mail Box”, This designation indicates that My postal address is NOT in the local post office nor am I located in a high priced, high rise office building.

My address is located in a private mail facility.

When you see the “PMB” designation you can feel confident that those merchants and services are doing thier part to combat fraud and abuse by properly by using “PMB”.

We think you will agree it is the right thing to do.

Please feel free to contact us if you would like additonal information about what is being done to combat mail fraud, and scams.

Thank you

Signed ====

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought that this might give some ideas of how to turn this into a benefit!

Hope this helps

Mark R in KCMO

The AMPC? - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on April 30, 1999 at 23:16:44:

Was talking to my local MB people and they said that a group called the AMPC is trying to take it the ACLU.
when I find more info on who they are I’ll post it. He also supposed to give me a copy of the new law.

I’ll post that also.

David Alexander

The AMPC? - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on April 30, 1999 at 23:16:44:

Was talking to my local MB people and they said that a group called the AMPC is trying to take it the ACLU.
when I find more info on who they are I’ll post it. He also supposed to give me a copy of the new law.

I’ll post that also.

David Alexander

If you can’t fix it, feature it … - Posted by David(Ca)

Posted by David(Ca) on April 30, 1999 at 21:07:27:

I have an MBE address like many of you, but see this as a solution to something that has been bothering me for a while.

Frankly, I figure the “big business” image my MBE street address gives flys-in-the-face of the “just another guy” image that a private mail box will provide. I’ve even started putting “home office” next to my phone number to get that “just another guy” look and feel for all my mailings. Still, I’m not sure any of this makes a significant difference.

I’m looking forward to the change of image but dread the change of address.

Dave

If you can’t fix it, feature it … - Posted by David(Ca)

Posted by David(Ca) on April 30, 1999 at 21:07:27:

I have an MBE address like many of you, but see this as a solution to something that has been bothering me for a while.

Frankly, I figure the “big business” image my MBE street address gives flys-in-the-face of the “just another guy” image that a private mail box will provide. I’ve even started putting “home office” next to my phone number to get that “just another guy” look and feel for all my mailings. Still, I’m not sure any of this makes a significant difference.

I’m looking forward to the change of image but dread the change of address.

Dave

A thought or two … - Posted by HankM

Posted by HankM on April 30, 1999 at 20:25:03:

I’ve got a MBE account too. For all the same reasons as others have described, but the fact of the matter is we do this for privacy, anonimity and deception … yes I said deception; Most folks (regular people) see suite and think “established business with an office”; now if that perception is flawed is not for me to decide, but I’ll bet we all got a PMB for that reason … to give the aire of “biggness” without the rent expense.

The problem is that the “bad” elements of our society have figured this out too and bilked a lot of folks out of money … so we are paying the price. Period.

If there is a fight, I’ll support it; legislatively that is:) … but otherwise, lets get on with life, find a solution and accept that another “little guy advantage” has been closed by the acts of a few.

HankM

A thought or two … - Posted by HankM

Posted by HankM on April 30, 1999 at 20:25:03:

I’ve got a MBE account too. For all the same reasons as others have described, but the fact of the matter is we do this for privacy, anonimity and deception … yes I said deception; Most folks (regular people) see suite and think “established business with an office”; now if that perception is flawed is not for me to decide, but I’ll bet we all got a PMB for that reason … to give the aire of “biggness” without the rent expense.

The problem is that the “bad” elements of our society have figured this out too and bilked a lot of folks out of money … so we are paying the price. Period.

If there is a fight, I’ll support it; legislatively that is:) … but otherwise, lets get on with life, find a solution and accept that another “little guy advantage” has been closed by the acts of a few.

HankM

Consider this - Posted by The Baze

Posted by The Baze on April 30, 1999 at 19:57:23:

I used to have a PMB, but to tell the truth, I was too lazy to go down the street to get my mail. So what I did was to change a couple things on my address to appear larger than I am, but still get my mail sent to me. Because I live on a Drive, i.e. Maple Drive, that looked too residential. So I changed it to Avenue. Looks businessy, and since this is the only “Maple” in this zip code, I get all of my mail w/ out any hassles. I also put a suite number on it. Again, the mail carrier delivers to 123 Maple Avenue. So it says “Suite 111.” There’s only one mailbox here so that’s where he sticks the mail. It’s worked for me so far.

Tom Bazley

Consider this - Posted by The Baze

Posted by The Baze on April 30, 1999 at 19:57:23:

I used to have a PMB, but to tell the truth, I was too lazy to go down the street to get my mail. So what I did was to change a couple things on my address to appear larger than I am, but still get my mail sent to me. Because I live on a Drive, i.e. Maple Drive, that looked too residential. So I changed it to Avenue. Looks businessy, and since this is the only “Maple” in this zip code, I get all of my mail w/ out any hassles. I also put a suite number on it. Again, the mail carrier delivers to 123 Maple Avenue. So it says “Suite 111.” There’s only one mailbox here so that’s where he sticks the mail. It’s worked for me so far.

Tom Bazley

Maybe… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on April 30, 1999 at 15:39:56:

The solution would be to Rent office space from them instead of a mailbox? I talked to mine today and they are fixing to put the letters in our box about this, they are not happy. They told me the Government is upset becuase these places are stealing their thunder, but their argument is that they can do things a P.O. Box can’t, receive Fed Ex, UPS, deliveries etc.

P.S. I am also looking at buying one of these places.
Hmmmm, more negotiation with the owner.

David Alexander

Maybe… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on April 30, 1999 at 15:39:56:

The solution would be to Rent office space from them instead of a mailbox? I talked to mine today and they are fixing to put the letters in our box about this, they are not happy. They told me the Government is upset becuase these places are stealing their thunder, but their argument is that they can do things a P.O. Box can’t, receive Fed Ex, UPS, deliveries etc.

P.S. I am also looking at buying one of these places.
Hmmmm, more negotiation with the owner.

David Alexander

http://www.usps.gov/news/press/99/99021new.htm - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on April 30, 1999 at 14:25:06:

http://www.usps.gov/news/press/99/99021new.htm

Wow, I finally did something right.

Now I remember why I have an office outside my home! All this time I thought it was because I get more done when I hafta go somewhere instead of being about to stay home and play with all my toys LOL

Mark R in KCMO

Its for real - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on April 30, 1999 at 13:12:18:

When I first read this, I hoped it was just a rumor, (kind of like the FCC charging extra for internet use). Unfortunately, this one does appear to be real. The USPS issed a press release, which can be seen at:

http://www.usps.gov/fyi/welcome.htm

under the heading something about mail fraud.

Bert G