Posted by Suzanne on March 23, 2000 at 22:02:32:

Robert J. Bruss
Real Estate Newsletter
251 Park Road
Burlingame, CA 94010
800/736-1736

Probate investing??? - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on March 22, 2000 at 17:38:22:

Ok, i’ve recently received an introductory video by a guy that charges $1,500 for his tape/book course which shows you how to find property in probate and “buy for pennys on the dollar”. I have searched for other courses on this subject but have yet to find one. According to this guy, he is the only one teaching it. However, I did note that the date at the end of the tape was 1995. Can anybody tell me where I can get more info, and I don’t mean from the local courthouse. This sounds less competitive than foreclosures and more profitable. Thanx in advance.

Re: Probate investing??? - Posted by Suzanne

Posted by Suzanne on March 23, 2000 at 21:50:34:

Check out www.probate-realestate.com/. This course is recommended by John Beck and is 1/10th the cost of Jim Banks’ course.

Also, You might check with your city and county libraries. I was able to locate a copy of Jim Banks’ probate course from 1988 in my library. It’s not as thorough as the much more expensive course he sells now, but it will give you some useful information.

Re: Probate investing??? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on March 22, 2000 at 19:05:04:

Atty Robert Bruss covers this in his newsletter(Nov 98 edition). It’s $4 a copy.

-Chris

Re: Probate investing??? - Posted by jimi

Posted by jimi on March 24, 2000 at 08:44:22:

It seems to me that the key challenge/opportunity here is 1) identifying/locating properties going through probate and then 2) locating the heirs/beneficiaries. After that, the game remains the same as always …

So, let’s discuss - What are the best ways to identify/locate probate properties?

Where can I find it? (nt) - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on March 23, 2000 at 17:22:04:

nt

Finding Probate Properties - Posted by Suzanne

Posted by Suzanne on March 25, 2000 at 09:44:11:

My starting point is with the Public Notice of Petition to Administer Estate published in the newspaper. As I want to buy properties without court supervision, I look for the statement “The Petitioner Requests Authority to Administer the Estate Under the Independent Administration of Estates Act,” so I can purchase directly from the estate.

I then run a check to see if the deceased owned property in my area.

The next step is to check the file at the court house. I look for the executor’s name and address, and if the executor has full or limited authority to act. Full authority gives the executor the right to sell the property without court supervision. I then send a letter to the appropriate individual regarding the purchase of the property.

Re: Where can I find it? (nt) - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on March 24, 2000 at 01:56:01:

https://secure.inman.com/bruss/

Click on the link to see the catalog and scroll down until you see How to Profit from Probate and Bankruptcy Properties (98291).