Problems with Tenants and "mold"? - Posted by Nate Tyler

Posted by Ian(Honolulu) on February 14, 2002 at 22:16:43:

Exactly what’s the problem?

Problems with Tenants and “mold”? - Posted by Nate Tyler

Posted by Nate Tyler on February 14, 2002 at 20:30:11:

We’re about to be taken through the mud by some problem “system working” tenants who have found the hottest new button to push.

Does anyone have any advice or comforting words for an investor who is suffering from “everything-has-gone-so-good-up-til-now…why-me” syndrome??

Also…our insurance agent has assured me that our $1 mil business policy will cover us, but I’m not 100% confident in that.

???

NT

Mold problems read this - Posted by Suzanne

Posted by Suzanne on February 15, 2002 at 11:10:52:

I did a google search and came across this article from Usa Weekend.com

http://www.usaweekend.com/99_issues/991205/991205mold.html

You can go to the website to read about how serious mold can be and some causes for the mold. I’m going to post the tips that they suggest to do.

"How to protect your home from unhealthful molds

Keep water out. Fix any leaks within 24 hours.

Be on the lookout for discoloration of walls, ceiling, or anything made of wood or paper. Mold growth can be almost any color: white, black, green, fluorescent.

Look behind cabinets or pictures on cold outside walls, where condensation can occur. Keep furniture away from outside walls.

Check around air handling units (air conditioners, furnaces) for stagnant water. Keep these units serviced with regular cleaning of ducts and air filters.

Be aware of odors. Mildew has been described as pungent, or “aromatic.”

Know the symptoms of mold-related illness, which can range from chronic sinus infections and asthma to nosebleeds, extreme fatigue, severe headaches, dizziness, rashes and central nervous system problems. Do the symptoms get better when you go on vacation and worse when you come home?

To get your house checked for mold, contact the American Industrial Hygiene Association for a referral to a certified industrial hygienist (703-849-8888, or www.aiha.org). Testing costs $200-$500."

I think it would be best to spend some money to check out the mold problem and fix it now before it gets any worse. Then educate your tenants on what to do to help prevent the mold from comming back especially if they are thinking about buying the house later on.