Property Near Airport Runway? - Posted by Jerry

Posted by Tobey on February 24, 2002 at 12:55:04:

You could always turn it into a Grpoup Home for the Deaf

Property Near Airport Runway? - Posted by Jerry

Posted by Jerry on February 24, 2002 at 09:50:59:

I’ve got a desperate owner that would sign over the deed in a heartbeat, but his house is a mile away directly in the flight-path of the three runways of an airport.

The airport is a minor one that used to be a military base, but was closed in late 1980s. Now the airport is owned by the city, and is used as an overflow airport for the city’s VERY large public airport. It’s also being developed with more and more aircraft businesses using it every year, and there is a controversial plan to expand it some time in the future to become a full-fledged public airport for instead of an overflow for the other airport.

The houses built in the flight path were built between the years it was closed, and when the city took it over and started using and developing it. The houses in the developments are newer 1997-1999, and are nice. The owners have complained to the city about the noise ever since. Some owners brought suit against the builders, claiming they were not told the airport would be active.

This particular house is a nice 4bed 3bath pool beautiful yard, five years old. The owner owes $184K. When I look at the airport noise map, the subject house is in the 60 decibel area of the study (loudest). Needless to say the comps are few, but there was one sold in the past six months for $215K.

OK, my first inclination is to pass on this. I think…why put any effort into this house when I’d have to find a T/B, or renters that don’t mind airliners flying overhead? Then there’s the possibility that the airport will be expanded to handle even more traffic in the future (years from now).

But, I thought I’d ask on this board…has anyone bought properties like this and had success? Would you pass on this?

for me the answer would be… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on February 25, 2002 at 07:52:14:

I would pass unless they made it EXTREMELY attractive like 50% or less. It will always be a hard house to rent, sell, l/o, cfd, etc. And the biggest negative will be something (the airport) that you can’t cure.

I once had a house that was on a freeway. The house was there first. It was so noisy in the back yard that you could not have a normal conversation for all the traffic noise. Two of the bedrooms were in the back and even with double storm windows there was noise. In the house with all the windows closed, the noise was tolerable, but the backyard was only suitable for kids and the hearing impared.

David Krulac
Central Pennsylvania