Prorated rent question! - Posted by Beverly

Posted by phil fernandez on May 22, 2000 at 13:47:07:

What does your agreement say? The agreement will govern what is paid and when it is due. If it’s not in writing then there is no deal.

Prorated rent question! - Posted by Beverly

Posted by Beverly on May 22, 2000 at 12:58:55:

I’m going to get a home through lease/Op…The owner
said the house will be ready on 5/14…she wants me
to pay a prorated rent of $308.00 & $525.00
security although I want take posession of property
until 6/1 at which time I wll be responsible for
Junes rent Is this legal or ethical?

Re: Depends on what the agreed starting date is - Posted by Millie I.

Posted by Millie I. on May 22, 2000 at 17:24:13:

Beverly,

First all all, when you do L/O, you are ‘renting with option to buy’. You are a tenant first, and a buyer only when you exercise your option to buy.

‘When’ you start paying rent depends on the beginning date on your lease. If you signed the lease to rent beginning 5/14, then you start paying rent from that date. You may choose to move in 2 or 3 months later, and you will still have to pay every day’s rent because you have legal possession of the apartment. You have a legal commitment to pay the rent even if you moved in late. ( The landlord cannot rent it to someone else while you have legal possession).

If you meant to begin the lease on 6/1, then you should have clarify it with the landlord. It is up to the landlord to agree to take a loss on the half month’s income and rent the unit to you, or decide to turn you down, and rent it to someone else who is willing to pay for it on 5/14 and move in on 5/14 or whenever they are ready.

Millie I.