Pros and Cons - Toll Free Service - Posted by Marvin

Posted by Nan on February 24, 1999 at 18:33:22:

I agree save money, unless you really want to expand to out of state properties. If you are new, stick with your local area until you build experience.

Pros and Cons - Toll Free Service - Posted by Marvin

Posted by Marvin on February 24, 1999 at 16:19:02:

Please give your opinion about whether one
should have a toll free number for (motivated)
sellers to call. Also, how do I get a good
number? Local # is 383-9000 (good), toll free

is 212-4927 (crummy). Does getting a good

number (by my definition) cost money?

Flat Rate, For Multiple Area Codes - Posted by J. Clifton

Posted by J. Clifton on February 25, 1999 at 16:02:51:

I use a flat rate service from Digitcom that gives you a voicemail 800 or 888 number (3 minute incoming/outgoing). It DOES attract more of a response. It’s useful for moderate-high volume calls across several zones (my metro area covers 5 area codes). There’s peace of mind in knowing exactly what you’ll pay each month, with no interruptions to your routine (you call in to check your calls just as with toll voicemail). But it’s not really needed when you’re just working one area.

Re: Pros and Cons - Toll Free Service - Posted by Craig

Posted by Craig on February 25, 1999 at 13:27:32:

Get the toll free number and give it to only that you are already doing business with, such as real estate agents, mortgage brokers, other investors, contractors, on and on. I have the same take on toll free numbers as I do business cards. Unnecessary for marketing purposes. I don’t want someone calling wasting my time on my nickel(even if it only costs a penny). Time wasters won’t call if they have to pay for it and serious people will. It’s good for your professional contacts because they can call from anywhere(payphones, a sellers home etc.).

Re: Pros and Cons - Toll Free Service - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on February 25, 1999 at 10:13:16:

800 #‘s are relatively inexpensive nowadays, you can add them to your existing number with a different ring,
I believe for around 20 bucks or so, plus they charge you so much a call after a certain amount, .13-.18 cents. To get a special number you just ask and they will check to see if it available. Have a list of numbers ready to ask about. How bout’ 1-800-Get-CASH.
Actually, I think nowadays you have to get 888 numbers as most of the 800’s are takin’.

Good luck

David Alexander

Re: Pros and Cons - Toll Free Service - Posted by Soapymac

Posted by Soapymac on February 24, 1999 at 17:17:19:

Marvin,

Why spend money that you don’t have to?

Motivated sellers will call. (I’m assuming you are placing an ad.) “Maybe’s” will say, “Look Martha, this guy may want to buy our house. Let’s call. If he doesn’t offer what we want, it hasn’t cost US anything, has it?”

My .02

Cordially,

Roy MacLean
“Soapymac”
If you want to contact me, take the word “nospam” out of my e-mail address.

Re: Pros and Cons - Toll Free Service - Posted by rayrick

Posted by rayrick on February 25, 1999 at 14:16:58:

I don’t have a definite opinion on the benefits of a toll free number, but I do know how to get a cheap one and even have it be a “vanity” number for no extra charge. I found a company called Cable and Wireless on the web. Their long distance rate is only $.08/minute. You can get an 800 (or 888 or 877) number for free and even request a specific one for no extra charge. You are only charged when people call you and it’s at the same $.08/minute rate. Be prepared for MANY of your vanity number requests to NOT be available. If you find a decent one with the 877 area code, consider yourself lucky.

By the way, this company has a bunch of folks out there making money as agents selling the service. I AM NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE. I’m just passing along info about a service that I’ve found useful. Take it or leave it.

-Ray

Not the place to be cheap… - Posted by Rene Perrin

Posted by Rene Perrin on February 25, 1999 at 05:58:04:

…err frugal. Unless you’re running an infomercial, I doubt that you’re going to get that many calls that an 800# is going to “cost” you much. Research has shown (which is why companies have 800#'s to begin with) that people will call a company or person with an 800# before they will call someone with a toll. If they’re just “curious,” you may have blown 50 cents. But, how much will it cost you if one of your competitors got the first call and you didn’t even get a crack at it? $5,000? $20,000? All because you were too cheap to pay for a 50 cent call.

In my area, we have 7 area codes within a 35 mile radius. An 800 # is a necessity. Why spend $250 to run an ad and then not get any response because the next ad was toll free?

Soapy- your response makes NO sense.

Rene