Q and A RE: North Carolina Log Home Deal - Posted by Ben (OH)

Posted by Ben (OH) on June 29, 2007 at 06:04:49:

Thanks George. The previous owner did ask for a refund and wsa told no. That was the end of it for him as he didn’t pursue it further. I suppose the answer is a legal question.

Who wants a log home kit? :wink:

Q and A RE: North Carolina Log Home Deal - Posted by Ben (OH)

Posted by Ben (OH) on June 28, 2007 at 08:54:01:

Hey group,

This is a potential investment opportunity for a log home package and/or a joint venture to build a log home in western NC.

An opportunity has come my way to buy a bargain log home package. Here is the story-

The orignal buyer in 2001 deposited $48,000 in cash towards the purchase of a log home package.(The log home kit is from Amerlink, a manufacturer from NC.) The buyer fell on hard times and never accepted delivery. I have negotiated with the buyer to take his position on the deal. We have agreed on a buyout of his contract. So far so good.

The manufacturer (Amerlink)has the order in the computer and has not cut any product. In my discussion with the rep they will allow me to take the buyers position. Of course, the exact home is now about 35% more expensive but they will allow me to use the funds on any product. I am in the process of negotiating the best deal.

One question I have is about the refundablity of the deposit. Of course the contract spells out no refunds. However, in this case the manufacturer has only prepared paperwork and has not incurred any signifcant costs. Does anyone know if the manufacturer could be forced to provide a refund, less costs?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Q and A RE: North Carolina Log Home Deal - Posted by george

Posted by george on June 28, 2007 at 17:04:51:

I have found that most firms protect themselves very well from a legal standpoint. Without the details, I would guess your chance of getting a refund are extremely slim.

Also, a slim chance the original buyer never thought of asking for a refund? If he has been turned down, what makes you think your chances would be better?

Now, if you knew someone who was planning on building a similar log home, and you could get in the middle by wholesaling the contract… this would definitely work.